Thread: Road regulations for bikes in France and Spain?

Road regulations for bikes in France and Spain?

Thinking of riding down to the Costas again this year. But not been through France into Spain for about three years.
    Looking for up to date road regs advice for people who have been recent.
    Last time I went made sure lights were on at all times and carried bike and ins docs/breathalyser kit/Hi viz + reflective stickers on helmet.
    Does any one know what may be new or is any of the previous relevant now anyway.
    Regards.

Re: Road regulations for bikes in France and Spain?

I ride in Europe lots, I have been in most countries barring the old soviet bloc (went to the Czech border last year tho) I have never had any issue at all.

In fact I stopped carrying all the reflective/breathaliser stuff. I do carry my licence and insurance but dont bother taking the registration docs anymore.

I dont do stickers on my helmet either. I ride headlights on even in the UK (and in the car too) out of habit

I do put a triangular insulation tape sticker on the headlight, but my headlight is not directional so its purely for show. The GB sticker is part of the number plate.

As long as you are not riding like a total twat, they aint bothered.

east of holland 50feet from the german border

North France, utter EU cunts, do me for speeding 2mph too fast, do me for no breathtest wotsit, even did me for a broken headlight 5 mile up the road when an "assylum seeker" threw an halfender at my car when I drove past their burning barrier on the road to the docks.

South France (Under Dijon) (where they make all the mustard) (in a mustard factory) Utter bliss. Right on, laid back peeps, They leave you be, if yer not a cunt. I love it.
    Birdie num num........

Well, they seem to tolerate the Brits at least.

The nearest thing to hassle I've experienced was having my handlebar grips and my hands swab tested for explosive residue before going under the tunnel

.... like I wouldn't wear latex gloves to handle that stuff

To be fair on three trips down to Gibraltar via Calais I've only been stopped once. That was in Spain forgot I didnt have my lights on!
    They were only interested in my bike documents.

Im virtually with Hoots in that on last trip to the Bol all I carried docs wise was insurance (bit I did take photocopy of logbook)

I also packed a hi viz but that was more for me if it went wrong and put a GB sticker on the pannier and that was it
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Ya know, thinking about it, what with Brexit and that looming, it may pay to play the rules at least until the dust settles.

I kinda got fed up with carrying my original docs in case the got stolen or lost as I never needed to show them, but perhaps a photocopy of the logbook as Nige suggests is not too much hassle.

I always found a great welcome on two wheels over there, more so than over here, but with Eurocrats on both sides of the water stirring the shit, things may change, at least in the short term.

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Quote Originally Posted by HootOwl View Post
    but with Eurocrats on both sides of the water stirring the shit, things may change, at least in the short term.
    You'll be OK a couple of hundred miles into Fraaaance and Spain, they HATE the EU and everybody/everything about it.
    Birdie num num........

We found the German police were very helpful when one our group had a breakdown. No bother and no hassle.