Thread: Scott Oiler Question

Scott Oiler Question

OK,

Just bought another ZRX1200 and found it had a Scott Oiler fitted........

No form of manual or handbook / guide with it and never had one on a bike before so novice to them but heard they are good.

Had a dabble with the settings..............then ended up with a pool of oil on the garage floor after starting and running bike for 15 mins, under the rear sprocket where the nozzle is pointed at the chain.

Can anyone recommend the best number / setting on the dial for best results ????

Pete
    THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

Re: Scott Oiler Question

Pete, go onto scottoiler website and print off the manual .
    You will have to prime it before you fiddle with it.
    One more and you get a big kiss

Thanks mate.............are all models of Scott Oiler the same ?

Mines the one below.

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

Yes, except the electronic one which you don’t have.
    One more and you get a big kiss

Quote Originally Posted by RETROBOY View Post
    Can anyone recommend the best number / setting on the dial for best results ????
    Lower numbers mean slower drip.
    Mine sits around 2.
    2006 ZRX1200R Lime Green

east of holland 50feet from the german border

I put cheap engine oil in mine, pretty thin, it was always turned reet down, still did its job perfectly. You can move the nozzle to under the front sprocket just behind the fot peg, then it cant be seen and works just as well. Bit of a kaffuffle getting it just reet tho'. Don't drink the oil tho- it'll give yer a bad tummy.....
    Birdie num num........

Since you have a puddle, I'd say it's already primed

It works by gravity and a simple valve that is pulled open by the vacuum off the carbs.

So whenever the bike is running, the oil will be flowing. This is the only downside of a scottoiler, as it will continue even when stationary. Also since it's gravity fed, temperature has a influence, so in summer you have to lower the flow a bit as the oil will be more fluid whereas in colder weather it might need turning up a tad to get the same flow. Also one persons setting might not be good for you as it depends what oil you have. Scottoiler make two oils for winter and summer, some people use old engine oil (splits opinion on this whether it's ok for the o-rings) and I've heard chainsaw oil is very good. Basically if you can get your hands on any thin cheap oil you should be fine.

You get the hang of them after a bit, just some trial and error really, but they are great at keeping the chain lubed when you get the setting right. Just don't fall into the trap of not paying attention to the chain anymore as some people think the scottoilers doing it's job and no need to check, but it could be blocked etc and leaving the chain dry.

I've personally moved over to PDOilers as they are electronic versions and a lot cheaper than Scottoilers electronic version, but as you already have it fitted just play around