Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carb cleaning

Re: Carb cleaning

Nope we cant get that

Boys in the business can get Mek (but that is proper rum stuff)

I believe its the ethonol that casuses carb varnishing in double quick time (and fucks your tank if its plastic)
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    Nope we cant get that

Boys in the business can get Mek (but that is proper rum stuff
    Miracle people can work on bikes at all. Rumor is ze Germany prohibits car washing. Wonder what's next.
    Bloody Foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by WJ-Polish Guy View Post
    Rumor is ze Germany prohibits car washing. Wonder what's next.
    They prohibit it anywhere other than designated car wash places, to avoid contamination of the sewers etc I think.

Just means everyone has to drive/ride to a car wash place, I think they have loads around, but does seem crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    I believe its the ethonol that casuses carb varnishing in double quick time (and fucks your tank if its plastic)
    I think this is turning out to be a bit of an urban myth. It's the impurities in old petrol that cause varnish and gumming. Modern petrol's don't really have this so much anymore (although maybe still if left for donkeys years).

If you leave a pure ethanol out on the side (although why wouldn't you just mix with coke), it would evaporate leaving no residue. Also ethanol is no more aggressive than regular petrol in terms of plastics etc. Probably less so to be fair.
    Last edited by noggin; 3rd May 2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post

I think this is turning out to be a bit of an urban myth. It's the impurities in old petrol that cause varnish and gumming. Modern petrol's don't really have this so much anymore (although maybe still if left for donkeys years).

If you leave a pure ethanol out on the side (although why wouldn't you just mix with coke), it would evaporate leaving no residue. Also ethanol is no more aggressive than regular petrol in terms of plastics etc. Probably less so to be fair.
    If we were talking pure ethanol you would have a point but it is mixed with petrol (possibly its faster evaperation aids varnishing - i dont know but we certainly never had this problem before it was introduced into it and there is a big consensus amongs those with carbed motors)

As for the tanks, maybe KTM just had some badly made ones although im on the second on my RC8 that was blamed on the stuff but everyday is a school day as they say
    What Goes Around..........!!!

If the ethanol evaporated quicker, it would simply leave behind 'normal' fuel which would then varnish anyway. There's nothing in the ethanol that can add to the fuel to cause varnish/gum.

I had a Triumph 955i years ago and the tank became hard to fit. People said it was the ethanol causing the tanks to swell, but I think it's simply the plastics used "relaxing". They aren't a stiff solid afterall and will be prone to movement over very long periods. I think that's more likely than ethanol issues. I checked inside and there was no visible issue at least.

The one thing ethanol is bad for is absorbing water so not good at all for long storage such as over winter, but isn't actually bad for regularly run vehicles as it can help 'dry' the system by absorbing any moisture that's found it's way in.

Classic vehicles have had problems though where old rubbers etc have been affected. I'm not saying it's definitely not the issues, but if there's evidence on modern stuff I'd be interested to see it.

A guy on YouTube has a long term test of different plastics and materials from bikes left in pure ethanol, so I'm interested to see what results he gets.

east of holland 50feet from the german border

They prohibit it anywhere other than designated car wash places, to avoid contamination of the sewers etc I think.

Just means everyone has to drive/ride to a car wash place, I think they have loads around, but does seem crazy..
    You can wash your car in the driveway if your driveway has been purpose built to wash a car ( drainage/able to catch oil residues and dirt), But you still can't wash your car or mow your lawn or drive a truck/goods vehicle on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by drrnjns View Post
    But you still can't wash your car or mow your lawn or drive a truck/goods vehicle on Sunday.
    I need to tell my wife that so I can get out of mowing the lawn this weekend

If the ethanol evaporated quicker, it would simply leave behind 'normal' fuel which would then varnish anyway. There's nothing in the ethanol that can add to the fuel to cause varnish/gum.....
    Not exactly, it is complicated and works on many levels, best read article below, just o first I grabbed from the net

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/1...-classic-ride/
    Bloody Foreigner

The issue I have with that article is it's based on "industry experts", which are usually from the oil industry who don't want biofuels diluting their profits. Also they then go on to say it can be counteracted with the use of additives, which are then advertised.

Sorry, I don't have issue with anyone's opinion here, but these articles are exactly my point, they fuel (get the pun ) the problem as it's clearly not based on scientific results.

I used to work in the chemical industry, which doesn't make me an expert in this field, but I'd like to think I can smell when something isn't right with these articles.

They state ethanol degrades O-rings, which isn't true, not for o-rings used in fuel systems anyway, as those used to resist fuel will resist ethanol - http://www.efunda.com/designstandard...one&SC=Ethanol

Anyway, don't want to get hung up on it, just thought I'd mention I'm not so sure about a lot of these claims. Hopefully some decent data will come out eventually though.

Don't be shaking my world now, I am paying 1 dollar a gallon more for fuel without ethanol...

What do you think about this shelf life claim of 3 months?

http://www.fuel-testers.com/expirati...hanol_gas.html

Also look at the chart below to see compatibility issues with ethanol
    http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-3
    Last edited by WJ-Polish Guy; 3rd May 2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Bloody Foreigner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast