Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few maintenance questions.

A few maintenance questions.

I've been looking at my options for the next service.

I don't know how expensive or even feasible it would be to get genuine filters from Kawasaki Ireland, the previous owner of my bike said they were all but useless when it came to after-sales service. So much so that he's just bought his new Z1000SX in Northern Ireland rather than in the Republic because of the lack of support down here. And let's face it, main dealers do like to charge for their authentic packaging.

I'm unsure as to what my local motorcycle parts shop offers in the line of decent filters/service material. I am aware though that everything in there seems to be on the dear side so I doubt I'd be getting value when compared to online options.

I have found a well established ebay vendor with near perfect feedback that seems to be an authorised K&N filters stockist, including oil & air filters suitable for the ZRX. An oil filter would be about 10 delivered and an oil & air (both K&N) package deal would be a little less than 70 delivered.

So me questions!

Is the K&N brand still what I remember it as being, as good, if not better, than OEM?

Is it worth changing the stock air filter for a direct replacement "upgrade" at all? I'm going to leave tuning (pods, jets, pipes etc.) to one side for now and come back to it when I'm better acquainted with the bike.

The standard plugs are NGK CR9EK. I know they're available online, but does anyone have a reputable source? I've no wish to experience fake plugs disintegrating in the engine.

What oil should I use? JUST KIDDING!!!!

I bought my SV650 with a Scottoiler already fitted. In the year I've been riding it (not daily, but whenever the chance was presented) I've yet to need to adjust or even clean the chain (or the wheel/swingarm) and I have been keeping an eye on all of it, because of the negative reports.

I bought a dual injector end for it, but never got around to fitting it. I'm toying with the idea of fitting an oiler to the ZRX with this new injector.

I realise that opinions vary on whether the oiler should be fitted in the first place but, so far, I don't see a reason not to, so I'm asking more about the different options available.

IF you were fitting an oiler, would you go for the Scottoiler option? https://www.scottoiler.com/product/s...ersal-edition/

Or the Tutoro system, with its alternative "motion sensing" design? https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/col...r-standard-kit

Sorry if all this ground has been covered before. I did search, but if there is a thread or two that I missed which would answer all these questions feel free to point me in that direction.

And thanks one & all for any input & guidance you may have.

All the best,
    Damien.

Re: A few maintenance questions.

Let the inevitable 1 million different opinions begin ........this could be a VERY long thread
    THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Jason will be along shortly.............
    Birdie num num........

K&N oil filters are ok but sometimes the O rings are a bit too thick (never had the problem with HI-Flo though) but all are alledgedly inferior to oem (but i dont suppose Kawasaki actually manufacture filters now do they) and FWIW i use Hi-Flo.

I would leave air filter as standard unless you are going to go for stage 2 at some point at which point a K&N for a standard air box would do no harm (pointless if you are fitting pods though) - If you are fitting standard or K&N in the standard box, just make sure you fit the door correctly as it will run like a bag of shite if you dont (and is easy to fit incorrectly).

As for plugs, I use these from Bellrock Racing - Cant reccomend highly enough (after getting snide NGK in the past) and there are no performance gains using iridium - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENSO-spa...gAAMXQAx9ROyAb

As for oilers, save your money and just throw a cup of used engine oil over the back end at regular intervals
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    K&N oil filters are ok but sometimes the O rings are a bit too thick (never had the problem with HI-Flo though) but all are alledgedly inferior to oem (but i dont suppose Kawasaki actually manufacture filters now do they) and FWIW i use Hi-Flo.

I would leave air filter as standard unless you are going to go for stage 2 at some point at which point a K&N for a standard air box would do no harm (pointless if you are fitting pods though) - If you are fitting standard or K&N in the standard box, just make sure you fit the door correctly as it will run like a bag of shite if you dont (and is easy to fit incorrectly).

As for plugs, I use these from Bellrock Racing - Cant reccomend highly enough (after getting snide NGK in the past) and there are no performance gains using iridium - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENSO-spa...gAAMXQAx9ROyAb

As for oilers, save your money and just throw a cup of used engine oil over the back end at regular intervals
    Nice one Nige, interesting point about the O rings. There is an Irish stockist of Hi-flo filter that has one listed for the ZZR1200. You wouldn't know off the top of your head if it is the same filter used in the ZRX12?

The standard air filter is like new so I won't bother with a replacement for that then. Pods are on the horizon anyway.

I'll put your comments on the oiler in the "Nay" camp then, will I??

Quote Originally Posted by pedrosixfour View Post
    I've been looking at my options for the next service.

I don't know how expensive or even feasible it would be to get genuine filters from Kawasaki Ireland,

Cornwall Kawasaki do a good parts service............you will find them on-line! http://kawasaki.cornwallkawasaki.co.uk/

Having tried most of the oilers over the years, the one I would always buy now is the PDoiler.

Much better than scottoiler as electically pumped and so can be mounted near horizontal with no issue, so loads more options for mounting on frame etc.

The only thing is you need to find a switched live to run it off, but not a big deal if you're half ok with vehicle electrics.

Just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rexer View Post
    Cornwall Kawasaki do a good parts service............you will find them on-line! http://kawasaki.cornwallkawasaki.co.uk/
    Thanks bud, but they only do nation-wide (UK) delivery though.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Having tried most of the oilers over the years, the one I would always buy now is the PDoiler.
    Another option for sure. Installation wouldn't be a problem.

How does the wick sit, is it in contact with the chain?
    Last edited by pedrosixfour; 4th April 2018 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrosixfour View Post
    How does the wick sit, is it in contact with the chain?
    Depends where you locate it. It's a bit fiddly but no more so than a Scotty IMO. On my previous bike I had it sat above the chain around the middle of it's travel. As the chain 'whips' up and down it catches the wick and gets oiled.

The problem with this location is it shreds the wick slightly until it finds it's own height (if you see what I mean). It sounds a bit crude but it worked really well. I plan on getting one on the Rex but will aim to fit it nearer to either sprocket though, so the bounce of the chain is minimal and it should be in better contact. Ideally touching the chain as it's running over the rear sprocket is ideal as there's no bounce at all then.

It's maybe not as neat a solution as the Scottoiler, but I found it more effective as the scottoiler relies on the oil being spun off the rear sprocket onto the chain edges whereas this actually spreads it along the chains rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Depends where you locate it. It's a bit fiddly but no more so than a Scotty IMO. On my previous bike I had it sat above the chain around the middle of it's travel. As the chain 'whips' up and down it catches the wick and gets oiled.

The problem with this location is it shreds the wick slightly until it finds it's own height (if you see what I mean). It sounds a bit crude but it worked really well. I plan on getting one on the Rex but will aim to fit it nearer to either sprocket though, so the bounce of the chain is minimal and it should be in better contact. Ideally touching the chain as it's running over the rear sprocket is ideal as there's no bounce at all then.

It's maybe not as neat a solution as the Scottoiler, but I found it more effective as the scottoiler relies on the oil being spun off the rear sprocket onto the chain edges whereas this actually spreads it along the chains rollers.
    I get ya.

Thing is though, what I like about the Scott or Tutorro way of applying the lube is the fact that the oil is added to the inside of the chain, albeit nearly onto the rear sprocket first. The oil needs to work its way through the chain before it ever has the chance of being flung all over the back of the bike. I have the applicator on the SV set up just so it's rubbing the inside of the chain rather than sprocket and it does seem to work perfectly.

Wonder could the wick be set up to run on the inside of the chain too, just after the chain leaves the front sprocket or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast