Thread: Seized Compression Adjusters on Front Forks

Seized Compression Adjusters on Front Forks

Have stripped the forks today to fit new stanchions due to the old ones being too pitted.

All came apart great, but have noticed the compression adjusters are seized in place.

Any idea's on best approach? Have left them with some penetrating oil soaking in overnight, but wondering if no joy, will a rattle gun be a bad idea?

Also, anyway to tell whether they are wound in or out, or just guess a direction to turn and hope for the best?

Cheers.

Re: Seized Compression Adjusters on Front Forks

When wound fully in the top of the screw is almost flush with the housing, when wound fully out they protude 3-4 mm from the housing if that makes sense, on some bikes (later models i believe) they cannot be replaced so i would be very careful if i were you if you bust them your fcuked.............
    LIVE EVERY DAY AS THO ITS YOUR LAST CAUSE ONE DAY YOUR SURE TO BE RIGHT!!!

ZRX1200R GREEN AND MEAN

This is fixable

Nigel (aka z1racer)is the only one to of been able to actually affect a repair/fix to this this problem so my cap is well and truly doffed

Its from post #12 but am sure he will advise you in more detail if required - just pm him

http://www.zrxocboard.com/board/show...y-(2018)/page2

That said, if they are fully out then you are OK
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Cheers for that, good to see the internals so easier to understand what's going on.

Anyway, fortunately managed to sort it.

After soaking in penetrating oil overnight, I got a blow torch and gently heated around the main body of the adjuster. Just enough heat to see the penetrating oil start to bubble back out and then stopped. Gave it some reasonable welly with a screwdriver and it started to move.

Ended up going back and forth like you would when tapping threads and eventually got them fully working.

The one doesn't click anymore so presume the ball is seized inside, but I'm ok with that. Forks all stripped and bushes/seals replaced and back on bike.

Thinking of putting a dab of silicone sealant over the adjuster once I get the setting I want to stop road crap getting in and seizing it again.

That's a good link above though, so getting the detent ball out is what holds the valve assembly in, good to know.

Cheers.