Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First parts to modify my new bike ordered!

First parts to modify my new bike ordered!

Yeah, don't get too excited.

Found a used pair of Knight Design lowered pegs, in black, for a ZX14R on eBay. I should be able to make them work on the Rex if alterations are required. Hopefully they'll just bolt straight on.

While on eBay I ordered some H4 headlight plugs and sockets. I know that the stock wiring is prone to voltage drop leading to a drop in headlight performance so I'm going to make my own uprated harness.

Baby steps lads!

Re: First parts to modify my new bike ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by pedrosixfour View Post
    Hopefully they'll just bolt straight on.
    Is a ZX14R a ZZR1400?
    If so, i cant see any reason why parts from a completely different-in-every-way bike, would bolt straight on to a Rex
    But, hey - the saying is that anything can be made to fit anything, so get modifying

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnoopy View Post
    Is a ZX14R a ZZR1400?
    If so, i cant see any reason why parts from a completely different-in-every-way bike, would bolt straight on to a Rex
    But, hey - the saying is that anything can be made to fit anything, so get modifying
    It is yes.

On the Knight Design site the part numbers were identical save for a single letter and I've experience of the same part using different numbers for different applications.

But a lifetime spent in mechanics should stand to me if the pivot holes are, how you say, completely different in every way.

But a lifetime spent in mechanics should stand to me if the pivot holes are, how you say, completely different in every way.
    The mounting points for the hangers are pretty crude and simple metal brackets welded to the frame. If you're handy enough it would be very easy to weld an extra bit of bracket on and drill/tap the mounting point in the correct place.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    The mounting points for the hangers are pretty crude and simple metal brackets welded to the frame. If you're handy enough it would be very easy to weld an extra bit of bracket on and drill/tap the mounting point in the correct place.
    But of course noggin, it's only metal.

However, the pegs will take the first hit if there is any hitting to be done.

Bad man, tryna make me hurt my Rexy!

Taking that view, why buy lowered pegs, just cut off, lower and reweld the existing pegs
    Another 1 of 6. " Essex Geezers "

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Taking that view, why buy lowered pegs, just cut off, lower and reweld the existing pegs
    Perhaps that was the point that noggin himself was trying to make. The solution was there in front of me, no need to buy lowered pegs.

My view is do as little as possible that can't be undone, easily. VERY easily.

Bad man, tryna make me hurt my Rexy!

Good point about simply lowering the existing footpegs, depends if the new ones are nice bling though I guess.

Would be better to adapt pegs though I do agree, and keep the frame stock. Guess you could add to the frame though, so both the stock and the new ones fit if possible

Good point about simply lowering the existing footpegs, depends if the new ones are nice bling though I guess.

Would be better to adapt pegs though I do agree, and keep the frame stock. Guess you could add to the frame though, so both the stock and the new ones fit if possible
    This is a picture of a new pair of ZZR1400 (ZX14R) lowered pegs from Knight Designs.

They do use the exact same picture to advertise the same pegs for a 2007 ZRX1200, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

The pair I found were taken from a 2012 bike that's being broken.

They're not flash as all-fook, but I like them. They're a tidy design that won't see the pegs protrude any further than standard, meaning the shifter and rear brake will be easily matched to the lowered pegs.

And at 50 for the pair I found (as opposed to the $130 plus shipping asking price for new) it's the cheapest way to add a little leg room for those cross-continent blasts I'm planning. Well, imagining.

Ah, just the pegs themselves, sorry got thrown off by that and thought you meant the entire rearset and would have to adjust to suit which is why I mentioned the frame brackets.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast