Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake Upgrade

Brake Upgrade

Hi All looking to Upgrade my Brakes.
    Thinking of keeping the tok Calipers but getting them refurbished unless I can get hold of some Nissins or Brembos. A set of Wavy discs and New Braided Hel lines and New Levers whole brake system really 😁
    Any one know of local garage in Somerset area that does Upgrades/Mods?
    Thinking of getting bike checked on Dyno too.

Re: Brake Upgrade

These are the guys I used to refurb my fronts and rear....

Very good... great job.. Once serviced and looked after properly, there is nothing wrong with the Tok Calipers...

https://www.powerhouse.uk/content/mo...nt-service.php

Quote Originally Posted by Chevril View Post
    These are the guys I used to refurb my fronts and rear....

Very good... great job.. Once serviced and looked after properly, there is nothing wrong with the Tok Calipers...

https://www.powerhouse.uk/content/mo...nt-service.php
    Agreed !
    I have always found if the Tok 6 pots are reconditioned and rebuilt properly, they have more than enough stopping power for the ZRX and plenty of feel and will work perfectly well for years.
    The secret is, as many others have stated on here is to get the seal seats in the caliper bodies 100% clean and free from salt, and rebuild with good quality seals and red grease. As with any caliper, good quality pads help further too.
    Like most of us, I have had to brake suddenly under extreme conditions on all my ZRX's and the brakes have performed more than well enough........and I am still here !

Being honest, I dont actually want brakes that shred your front tyre or make the bike stand up on its front end when using one finger, which would happen if they were even more effective..............just not necessary IMO, but each to their own I guess.

Last edited by RETROBOY; 16th February 2018 at 01:02 PM.
    THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

Quote Originally Posted by RETROBOY View Post
    Agreed !
    I have always found if the Tok 6 pots are reconditioned and rebuilt properly, they have more than enough stopping power for the ZRX and plenty of feel and will work perfectly well for years.
    The secret is, as many others have stated on here is to get the seal seats in the caliper bodies 100% clean and free from salt, and rebuild with good quality seals and red grease. As with any caliper, good quality pads help further too.
    Like most of us, I have had to brake suddenly under extreme conditions on all my ZRX's and the brakes have performed more than well enough........and I am still here!

100%

If you do decide to upgrade, I found these to be a reasonable cost and a very good improvement.

IMG_001.jpg
    Another 1 of 6. " Essex Geezers "

The six pots have nice feel, but they are more prone to air in the system than four pots for some reason and also need more attention / maintenance.

re dynos. Depending on where in Somerset you are, there's one over the border in Avon (JHS, who I've just watched trying to get air out of a six pot system) and another in Tiverton......

Personally i think the 6 pots feel wooden in comparison to the Brembo / Nissin 4 pot but then i have had both to compare.

Newly refurbished 6 pots are ok but they do go off without regular caliper off cleaning i found (they are very susceptible to minute clag being carried into the seal recess's).

That said, i agree that pad choice makes a difference (full convert to EBC HH here)

If you want it all, add a brembo or equiv radial M/C ..........................for those not having ridden with such, don't even begin to try and compare.

Of course, then there is Al with his brembo radial calipers

Bottom line regardless of the rhetoric, opinions or potential jealousy..................................you pays your money, you take your choice (but you get what you pay for)
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    Brembo 4 pot, pad choice makes a difference (full convert to EBC HH here), If you want it all, add a brembo radial M/C
    My set up exactly, for me a massive improvement over standard.
    Another 1 of 6. " Essex Geezers "

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post

Newly refurbished 6 pots are ok but they do go off without regular caliper off cleaning i found (they are very susceptible to minute clag being carried into the seal recess's).
    Agree. re 6 pot air issues and related matters

I think the biggest issue with Tok (aka shite) 6 pots is the length of the single pad being acted on by three pistons of varying serviceability (and thus not getting equal clamping force as it were)

Ive got Harrison 6 pots on Blade (that have no dust seals either) and whilst still an absolute cunt to bleed, they are night and day compared to shite 6 pots which must have a lot to do with having three individual pads per side so no unequal effort.

That said, 12 pads per brake change is really cheap.............................NOT
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast