Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR blues.......

east of holland 50feet from the german border

VFR blues.......

My oil pressure lamp packed up recently, a broken wire at the oil pressure switch- so i had to take the whole bike apart- again, anything you have to do on a Vfr entails stripping the whole bike, they're a class bike but a bugger to work on, getting to the broken wire meant me draining the fuel, heaving the injector blocks off with a block and tackel, draining off coolant and taking the thermostat off- i'd rather go to the pub actually, but there you go- job done, it took me 41/2 hours,

Re: VFR blues.......

no what you mean we have a vfr . great bike
    Don't make the Rich Richer, it will only make the Poor Poorer!..

at least the lawnmower is the right colour.

Team Fat Bastard
    RBLR1000 Iron Butt UK Member 2012
    I'm not a complete idiot.............................some bits are missing

extension cords could do with a tidy up as well!

I recon working on the engine is a real pig as well on those things. Looking at the new one even more so
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

the VFR is IMHO a really good example of what has gone wrong at Honda.

Even the early ones were hell to work on. The beautiful simplicity and reliability of the CB750 was - to my way of thinking - in keeping with what a motorcycle chould be. No V4 could ever surpass that design as a mix of functionality and reliability. We now have a situation where the most basic maintenance requires 'dealer facilities', first thing is they get plugged into diagnostics.... The problem is that Honda and others have turned bikes into mini cars, ie not to be touched at home: look at the VFR 1200. You end up with a situation where new riders dont know how to change oil or plugs - now wonder people complain of souless bikes. There are now signs that Honda are trying to redress this with the new, simpler aircooled designs. India is their biggest market and they have to have low tec, repair at the roadside machines. the Honda CEO said recently that there was a lesson there for the rest of the world............... what goes around comes around...
    The V4 is simply unnecessary in a bike, I know many will disagree but hey....
    Its a helluva lot more complex design than the Goldie opposed 4, never mind the IL4.

Was talking to a guy last week with a vfr vtec. He was moaning that his 16000 mile service was due, the one where the valves get checked. Was something like 500 for the service coz the engine has to come out to do this.

Dont think he was too impressed when I pointed at the rex and told him that he didn't need all that hi-tech stuff. 2 wheels, big engine and a seat and thats all you need for fun.
    Rich

all this technonogy is of course great, but personally I like to do at least some of the maintenance myself. Honda used to be the brand that was easy to work on. But looking at the current batch of big CC bikes it's a lot more intimidating to start taking them apart to me.
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

Wow it does look complex but i thought that was the point of the VFR? It is a very advanced machine with a V4 engine in it which from what owners have reported is a step above the standard 4 cylinder setup? Honda do a lot of other bikes that are simpler and I guess pitched at a different audience I just don't think the VFR range is one of them. Also the technology is going up on bikes the same as cars mainly down to emmisions and fuel economy etc. How many of us can do basic work on the engine of say a modern HDI Diesel etc.
    ***** Just Bumping along the Bottom ****

yeah, complicated technology with average performance and poor fuel economy. Pointless excersize if you ask me. That v-tec crap is a waste of money. Not saying it's a bad bike, just saying a simpler engine design with similar performance whould have been better.
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast