Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New member - Glasgow

New member - Glasgow

Hi

Currently riding a CB1100 X-11 and looking to add a ZRX for a bit of touring. Probably a 1200S although I haven't had a chance to browse the forum to see if the standard 11/1200's are just as practical. I used to ride full fairing bikes like the FJR/Trophy etc but you somehow feel detached and too cosseted, plus there's always some kind of turbulence with big screens.

To be honest, I was really looking for a GSX1400 but, up close, they just look a bit too much, a bit industrial if that makes sense. I had actually looked at the ZRX a few years ago but prices were getting silly but I guess if you want quality you have to pay for it.

I don't know what the common issues are with the Z's although any reviews that I've seen suggest that the engines are sound, so that's about as good a starting point as any. I don't mind general spannering on a bike but I can't strip an engine.

As for myself, well I have a bus pass, like to ride fast and tour Europe. If I find somewhere that sells good beer then I usually hang around for a few days. Not much more to say really!

Here's a pic of the X-11 for those that don't know them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Re: New member - Glasgow

Welcome to the forum fella , good choice regarding the ZRX and whichever you choose i am sure you will be happy with it.

You may need to travel to find a machine that fits your requirements as it is a bit of a wasteland up here as far as the ZRX is concerened , good luck with your hunt and if you need an extra pair of eyes to check over a local one then give me a shout as i am not too far from you in Paisley.

Kendo
    Take the pieces and build them skywards !

Good man

By the time I've checked through the forum properly I'm sure that I'll have a few questions

Welcome from Northumberland.

Best go for one of the faster GREEN ones !
    THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

Quote Originally Posted by RETROBOY View Post
    Welcome from Northumberland.

Best go for one of the faster ones !
    Loud pipes save lives!

Welcome to the forum.
    Loud pipes save lives!

Joking aside, regarding colour, are the green bikes usually more expensive? I mean, isn't that the definitive ZRX that everyone has a mental picture of?

Personally, I don't mind although red/orange/black seem to be a recurring theme of my previous bikes. Having said that, I quite like the look of the blue 1200S on fleabay, albeit 5k is more than double what my mint X-11 cost. I guess that I just haven't adjusted to the prices that these bikes fetch. I'm definitely not looking to buy an investment but a bike that I can ride but condition is also important. Probably time I did a bit more reading

Attachment 208912000 c4 (1100)purchased for under 2k acouple of years back and in good order.Some ppl charge / ask TOO much.
    Welcome aboard btw
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

Thanks Rockpile - that's a smart bike. Looks like a clever purchase.

I'm not expecting to strike it lucky first time round. I know from experience that the first bike of any model that you buy is likely to cost you a bit more than you should really be paying, especially with older bikes. Intuition takes time (if that even makes sense!) so I tend to buy the best available, within reason, on the basis that if you pay too much you still end up with a nice machine.

Like most bikers, I've paid too much and sold too cheap. In fact, I'm quite good at that However, at my age, I don't really want to hang around for the "right" deal - I just want to get out on the road.

But red does look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    But red does look good.
    But .........................

Kendo
    Take the pieces and build them skywards !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast