Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Re: Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by PALESAINT View Post
    but you have managed to inject some life into a tyre thread, haven't had a live one for a long long time
    LOL.

Gang we have nothing to worry about.

At least we are prepared to discuss this subject because we are passionate about what we use and want to know more.

I'm also on a car forum and the level of complacency and lack of tyre knowledge is genuinely scary. Drivers having NO IDEA what tyre pressures they should use, completely ignoring manufacturers suggestions and often putting tyre pressures in based on some random thing they have read about driving on snow!

We should all be proud that we ride bikes and can feel if we like a tyre or not....because we are bikers. Most car drivers cant feel anything, nor do they want to, and more and more are living in the 'bubble' of tin top safety nets coccooned inside their electronically assisted machines that do everything for them.

ROLL ON SUNNY DRY DAYS

(I do tax my bike all year round and ride even when its cold and wet but truth be told its far more enjoyable getting home with dry underwear.........he says...."lighting the touch paper and waiting for the anticipated firework return!")

What tyre pressure do people use?

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Birdie num num........

I've a question on mixing brands....

So, on a car... you might get away with it more easily, especially on a mundane eurobox.. people often just change the fronts or the rears depending on wear and whats available or meets their budget on the day... so they can end up with a complete mix of unmatched brands... (I remember the wife had a Megane Scenic for a couple of years and it had 4 different brand of tyres.... and you couldn't notice a thing... you could barely spin the wheels it was so gutless and for everyday driving, it was absolutely fine.. it was never pushed and it handled so wobbly, you didn't really want to push it anyway!)

On a bike.. would you always swap the tyres in pairs or at least same type i.e. replace like for like? or are you happy having a Bridgestone on the front and a Pirelli on the back for example?

Nearly every bike I've owned, I've just swapped them usually both at the same time, regardless if one still had plenty of wear and always with the same brand/type of tyre... no mixing of brands or even mixing of compounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Chevril View Post

So, on a car... you might get away with it more easily, especially on a mundane eurobox.. people often just change the fronts or the rears depending on wear and whats available or meets their budget on the day... so they can end up with a complete mix of unmatched brands... (I remember the wife had a Megane Scenic for a couple of years and it had 4 different brand of tyres.... and you couldn't notice a thing... you could barely spin the wheels it was so gutless and for everyday driving, it was absolutely fine.. it was never pushed and it handled so wobbly, you didn't really want to push it anyway!)

On a bike.. would you always swap the tyres in pairs or at least same type i.e. replace like for like? or are you happy having a Bridgestone on the front and a Pirelli on the back for example?

Nearly every bike I've owned, I've just swapped them usually both at the same time, regardless if one still had plenty of wear and always with the same brand/type of tyre... no mixing of brands or even mixing of compounds...
    I would always swap in pairs as modern tread patterns, technology are designed as matching pairs. Mix them and you could potentially create adverse handling issues where each hoop works against the other.

There are some brands that will say that their 'family' of tyres are compatible with the previous model BUT no lower than that. AND only when the newer generation is used on the front with the older on the rear...

Example :-

MICHELIN -
    ROAD 4 front can be used with ROAD 3 rear
    ROAD 3 front can be used with ROAD 2 rear
    ROAD 2 front can be used with ROAD rear

DUNLOP -
    ROADSMART 3 front can be used with ROADSMART 2 rear
    ROADSMART 2 front can be used with ROADSMART rear

etc etc etc

:-)

I must be getting old, as i just cant be arsed to interject on a tyre thread these days . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnoopy View Post
    I must be getting old, as i just cant be arsed to interject on a tyre thread these days . . .
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevril View Post
    Its absolutely fine. As long as you fit them correctly (ie right way round) you wont experience "each hoop working against the other".......

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post

MICHELIN -
    ROAD 4 front can be used with ROAD 3 rear
    ROAD 3 front can be used with ROAD 2 rear
    ROAD 2 front can be used with ROAD rear

DUNLOP -
    ROADSMART 3 front can be used with ROADSMART 2 rear
    ROADSMART 2 front can be used with ROADSMART rear
    You missed a few suitable pairings. . .

I always liked Dunlop D207 on the back & Michelin M90X on the front.
    Bridgestone BT020 rear - Avon AV45 front.
    Pirelli Strada rear - Maxxis Supermaxx front.

There are loads of other good combos. . .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast