Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Re: Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Mines had 180s on it since before I bought it. Twelve years later I'm still running 180s on a 5" rim . Tried a 170. Couldn't really tell the difference. Apart from it was harder to find a good deal on the 170
    No argument here sir and i know some 180's are narrower than others (there is one or two manufacturers who reccommend i believe)

That said, have a good enough off and i can assure you the assessor will be looking at them black round things and no amount of words on here will stop them disputing the claim if the fitment is incorrect
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    If you speak to anyone within the tyre industry the accepted 'premium' list is as previously mentioned. ALL top draw product.
    I'm fairly regular contact with Bryn Phillips (Dunlop / Bridgestone), the go 2 guy for motorcycle tyre tech iinformation, and there simply is no hard evidence to definitively support your theory beyond a very generalised 'you get what you pay for' assumptiuon. I put this to the test running a bike on Contimotions with surprisingly positive results. On a subjective level (which is massive in this area and therefore renders any unsupported opinion questionable) they felt better than more expensive tyres I've had. When I checked these impressions with Bryn, he had some track data showing that a guy on Contimotions was actually faster at the track than same guy, same bike, on much more expensive rubber. That in itself proves little, but it certainly suggests that cheaper tyres can, under certain circs, be at least the equal of more expensive ones. I myself preferred the cheaper Contis to the more expensive ones.

Part of all this is how you ride. There is little point in buying Metzeler Racetechs (always loved em) if you are a long distance courier on a winter contract. You may well find that a cheaper tyre is under certain circumstances a better bet. You are right to suggest that if in doubt, buy upmarket, but to make league tables is misleading.

Having said all that, I would always stick to manufacturers guidelines re section fitments for reasons given elsewhere. If you fit an oversize section to the rim you are reducing contact patch.

I went for Michelin PR4's because they are claimed to stop in a 14% shorter distance than their nearest competitor in the wet!

I would agree with Snoops, there are no budget tyres out there. There are some that are lots better suited to the Rex than others though & contrary to suggestions otherwise you don't have to be a racer to find that out. Having said that, tyre technology moves on all the time & pretty much all out there will be hugely better than the 020's the bike came with.

There are some bargains out there if you are willing to settle for last years model. My local tyre man is doing a wide choice of ST tyres including Avon Storms for 165 the pair fitted.
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

I think its fair to say that the subject of tyres (more than many other components....even the mighty exhaust and oil debate pales into insignificance in comparison) is a very personal thing. Often based on experience (but this is 'often' clouded by how wonderful a 'new' set of tyres feels in comparison to the 'old' set that we take off.....that may have been on for years....subsequently meaning we would struggle to remember just how 'good' or 'bad' that pair was when new), often based on what people read, often based on what people are told and often based on how well a brand is promoted and equally as influential, which brands a particular retailer or wholesaler has loyalties to.

As I've said already, even budget is better than old and knackered, so having new (ish) rubber and correct pressures is better than the usual alternative.

Take for example my son recently bought himself a nice little old school hot hatchback. It came from the dealer with 4 nearly new tyres (2 were new) and the car was 'OK'. He got a decent bonus through work a couple of weeks later and saw a deal on a set of 4 (premium) tyres and snatched them up. Got them fitted and sold the 4 that had been on the car on fleebay.

The difference in the cars abilities is genuinely noticeable.....and that was 'near new budget' to 'new old stock premium'.

With regards to a generalised 'you get what you pay for' assumption. I never said that, neither did I portray that, I simply stated that premium manufacturers who have 100's of years experience are accepted to be further up the evolutionary ladder than the few younger brands that usually swim in the shallows.

KIA used to be sh#te but they are now an automotive brand to be reckoned with.....but still 'not quite' up there with the established few that have many more years experience and technology behind them. BUT.....the KIA is cheaper and comes with brilliant warranty so it makes a very good case for itself as a brand.

Finally, I think if we speak to anybody in the industry they will admit that ALL brands have 'independant test results' that suggest their particular product outperformed its competitors. Look at the current 'battle of the vacuum cleaner' adverts on the TV.....they are all stating they are better than each other. Its marketing spin doctors doing what they are paid to do....spin.

Without this thread turning into a mud slinging 'my tyre is better than your tyre because' tit for tat, we should be grateful that we only have to consider 5-7 premium/semi premium brands and 2 budget brands. And long may that continue because we should all focus on fitting decent quality product to our machines.

In comparison, the car tyre industry is flooded with literally 1000's of unknown brands that 'just' meet the required standard to be sold in the EU/UK resulting in MANY car drivers fitting the typical "its black,round, has tread and is made of a rubber type material/will get me through an MOT' product which in many cases dont last 5 minutes, are genuinely shocking in the wet (more plastic than rubber!), terrible for fuel consumption and ridiculously noisy when part worn.

And NO.......I am NOT a snob/brand whore.

:-)

To answer the op's question. The ones I would definitely fit to mine again & suit the bike very well would be Avon storms & pirrelli angels. The only really bad ones I have had were conti road attacks.
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Have had numerous tyre combos on my ZRX. Bridgestones ok but they wear in an akward way and end up patchy or with an odd profile that buggers up the handling too soon, the Pirelli Diablos were ok but wear out sooner than they should no more than 5kish on the back, Avon Storm 2's aren't bad overall but don't last as long as Michelin's. I started off with the Pilot Road 3's a few years ago as I thought the bike needed them, which were great especially in the wet - if a little pricey - then switched to Pilot Road 2's later on as a fair bit cheaper but still perfectly grippy for most normal circumstances and give very good mileage. I can get about 8k from a Pilot Road 2 rear on the ZRX and the Diversion, maybe 13k-ish on the front. Haven't had Continentals on the ZRX but on my Diversion seemed no issues but again the mileage was poor compared to Pilot Road 2's, certainly an acceptable cheap tyre though.

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    I am NOT a snob/brand whore.
    but you have managed to inject some life into a tyre thread, haven't had a live one for a long long time

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I would agree with Snoops, there are no budget tyres out there. . .
    . . . tyre technology moves on all the time & pretty much all out there will be hugely better than the 020's the bike came with. . .
    My local tyre man is doing a wide choice of ST tyres including Avon Storms for 165 the pair fitted.

Without getting into yet ANOTHER tyre discussion, Avon Storms have been my tyre of choice for several years now. . . i have them on most of my bikes now.
    A really really good all rounder & i always choose them over the, err, "premium brands".
    I know i can get the "premium brands" cheaper than the Avons, but i prefer to be in the 2nd division. . .

Like many, I've had lots of different tyres over the years.
    I'm not a demanding rider, so my tyres get an easy time. Most tyres have more than enough grip for the average rider and compared to the sorts of tyres I used 35 years ago, even modern budget tyres out perform them.
    I know what I like in terms of 'feel' and as a result I love Michelin PR3 and 4. Superb in the wet or dry but expensive.
    Like the Bridgestone BT021 and the 023 less so. Hated the 020.
    Currently have Pirelli Diablos on the Rex and find them a nice tyre - but to be honest I took a chance and bought them because they were 130 for the pair, fitted.
    At the end of the day we're all different, so what's nice to someone else may not be for another - especially for people who ride their Rex like a Sportsbike.
    Life is hard - and then you die...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast