Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyres

Tyres

Ok, so what's a good choice for 1100 tyres?

Re: Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by zrxbuzz View Post
    Ok, so what's a good choice for 1100 tyres?
    Any round black ones which aren't flat at the bottom...

And a 170 rear is best (unless you have done the 1200 rear wheel conversion)
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Totally agree with Nige. DONT over tyre the standard narrow 5" rear rim that 11's have by fitting a 180, go 170 as originally fitted and correct size for that rim width.

IF....you have done the aforementioned 5.5" rim swap then by all means go 180.

As for which ones....

A premium tyre will always be better than a budget tyre FACT. And before I get swamped with critsizm by the few that believe its not worth it and budget rubber is just as good for tha 'average joe' just think for a minute about what we are talking about (in terms of difference in pair prices)....

A few extra quid to fit premium rubber (Mich, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metz & Bridgestone) is worth it surely ?!?!? We only have 2 small areas of contact patch.

Too many people scrimp on decent tyres, often fitting either cheap budget, over aged old stock, part worns etc and yet they will spank 100's even 1000's making the bikes engine more powerful......that THEY cant even use anyway and even if they could....the shite tyres they scrimped on dont allow all that extra power down!

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    And a 170 rear is best (unless you have done the 1200 rear wheel conversion)
    Mines had 180s on it since before I bought it. Twelve years later I'm still running 180s on a 5" rim . Tried a 170. Couldn't really tell the difference. Apart from it was harder to find a good deal on the 170
    1 of 6. " Essex Geezers "

www.dogsos.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post

A premium tyre will always be better than a budget tyre FACT. And before I get swamped with critsizm by the few that believe its not worth it and budget rubber . . .

A few extra quid to fit premium rubber (Mich, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metz & Bridgestone, Avon, Conti) is worth it surely ?!?!? .

Too many people scrimp on decent tyres, often fitting either cheap budget. . .
    Not quite sure what a "budget" tyre is. Apart from Maxxis - which are supposed to be "budget" but are as expensive as anything else & actually arent that bad, what budget tyres do you refer to?
    Wherever ive looked for the last god knows how many years, the only ones for sale anywhere in the UK are the list mentioned. Theres simply no budget big bike tyres for sale anywhere . . . ???

I know someone who does continental conti motions for 185 ride in ride out
    Very popular with the an couriers.
    One more and you get a big kiss

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnoopy View Post
    Not quite sure what a "budget" tyre is. Apart from Maxxis - which are supposed to be "budget" but are as expensive as anything else & actually arent that bad, what budget tyres do you refer to?
    Wherever ive looked for the last god knows how many years, the only ones for sale anywhere in the UK are the list mentioned. Theres simply no budget big bike tyres for sale anywhere . . . ???
    If you speak to anyone within the tyre industry the accepted 'premium' list is as previously mentioned. ALL top draw product.

Below that you have AVON & Continental. Middle draw product. Good but a few points behind tier 1.

Below that we have MAXXIS & MITAS. 'Budget'. Acceptable but a few years behind 'premium'. Black YES, Round (YEESS) and made of rubber.

Average pottering and average use they will all feel 'similar' but its when extreme conditions or demands are put on them that the reasons 'premium' are better becomes apparent. I'm no badge snob (I'd have a DUCATI Panigale in the garage if so!) nor am I loaded financially (the other reason for the missing PANIGALE!) but I do value putting the best product I can on the two parts of my machine that actually touch the road.

My talent wont stretch them to their limits but at least I am comfortable that I have the best I can afford under me (Seem to remember a mate telling me that after a rather naughty trip to BANGKOK!)

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
    A premium tyre will always be better than a budget tyre FACT.............................................. ....................A few extra quid to fit premium rubber (Mich, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metz & Bridgestone) is worth it surely ?!?!?

Go on any bike forum and there is always tons of tyre threads (almost as many as which oil).

It's quite a personal thing, some like the profile of one brand, others prefer the grip of a different brand.

It also depends how you use the bike, do you want all weather ability or simply something for summer blasts only.

I used to be a big Bridgestone fan, but once I tried Michelin PR3's I was sold, love the feel of them and they are the best all rounder tyre I've used. Great in the wet and handled nicely at Cadwell Park recently on a "safety" day where we got let loose on the track for 20 minutes - I certainly couldn't find their limits and had the pegs down a good few times.

Someone else might think they are horrible though as they move slightly due to all the sipes they have to give them wet weather grip. I would agree that any of the top manufacturers and you can't go wrong, you just have to find one that suits your style as a rider.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast