Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp Gauge........Well Worth Every Penny...........Lesson Learned.

Temp Gauge........Well Worth Every Penny...........Lesson Learned.

So,

Coming home rapidly from Scottish Borders this afternoon on the A1, and having covered 150 miles already, my recently fitted Temp Gauge staying between 70 and 75 degrees........all good.............then I suddenly notice its rapidly climbing upto 80 then 85 then 90......., so pull into layby.............to find coolant all over the front left of tank, frame and engine and dripping.
    Radiator has split at top left hand corner and is leaking badly, steam everywhere.
    Fortunately one of the lads had 2 bottles of water, as the expansion tank was now empty, so managed to limp home stopping every 15 miles or so to top up.

The moral of the story is.............dont waste 13 on a digital temp gauge, they are a waste of time..............so I am told by some !!!!!
    The standard (waste of time) RED light would not have came on until the bike reached 105 degs (and god knows what more damage at high speed ????)......and lost a lot more water than it had when my gauge told me about the problem....??????????

Please see my post regarding replacement raditors.

Pete
    THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

Re: Temp Gauge........Well Worth Every Penny...........Lesson Learned.

Get a Stack gauge, totally reliable, and you can even see the thermostat cutting in and out...
    Team Phat Bastid (Euro Division)
    HCW Founding Member...and they fucking love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Get a Stack gauge, totally reliable, and you can even see the thermostat cutting in and out...
    I am told temp gauges are a waste of time and money...............dont do anything or help at all ????
    THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

"Stripes" bleed nipple on top of the thermostat housing failed on his "S" on an endurance ride, this caused him to loose all his coolant, first he knew about it was when his motor popped, temp gauge never moved, when my rad sprang a leak last year i was loosing water from the system but my expansion tank was still full, only picked up on it when i saw steam coming from the front of the rad, whipped the tank off and hey prestow. short on the blue stuff............. Bit anal now about taking the tank off and checking coolant before/after a long run.
    LIVE EVERY DAY AS THO ITS YOUR LAST CAUSE ONE DAY YOUR SURE TO BE RIGHT!!!

ZRX1200R GREEN AND MEAN

Well I now find myself with two temp gauges!!!! After putting on new clock faces I couldn't get the OE one to work after pissing about with it for an hour so fitted an aux one instead. Later discovered I hadn't plugged in the connector block to the clocks. What a dick!!
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    What a dick!!
    Kev, you are not a dick for fitting a temp gauge
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Hi, where did you get the gauge?? and how simple is it to fit??

Got it off e-bay & very easy to fit but I have a question for any electrikery wiz out there. I have established with an accurate temperature probe that the gauge doesn't read very accurately it is showing 120 degrees when the actual temp is 80. Was thinking of putting a variable potentiometer into the circuit to be able to calibrate it accurately. Would this work?
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Got it off e-bay & very easy to fit but I have a question for any electrikery wiz out there. I have established with an accurate temperature probe that the gauge doesn't read very accurately it is showing 120 degrees when the actual temp is 80. Was thinking of putting a variable potentiometer into the circuit to be able to calibrate it accurately. Would this work?
    I'm far from a wiz but it sounds reasonable if the sensor works on resistance. Just either work out the size resistor that will bring the error back into check or a pot so you can vary it like you say.

Might be worth looking at the circuit board on the actual gauge though, it may already have a little pot you can tweak to correct the reading.

Got it off e-bay, it is showing 120 degrees when the actual temp is 80.
    Sounds like its fit for the bin, it over reads by 50% FFS
    Another 1 of 6. " Essex Geezers "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast