Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Shock absorbers

Re: Replacement Shock absorbers

The shox on Rex are one of the good things (even better when sprung with hyperpro springs) but I would of thought the cost of re-chroming would be prohibitive.

If you are going aftermarket then you really want the best you can afford and they do make a difference (ive Gazi on one and Ohlins on the other) but you could do a lot worse than buy Rockpile's shox with the HP springs and I would be gobsmacked if you couldn't get 2 decent ones out of the 4 it would give you
    What Goes Around..........!!!

not to sure, but maybe firefox racing can put new rods in, worth a try.

Bitubo are very very good for the money.

If you're spending a bit more, Wilbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    The shox on Rex are one of the good things (even better when sprung with hyperpro springs) but I would of thought the cost of re-chroming would be prohibitive.

If you are going aftermarket then you really want the best you can afford and they do make a difference (ive Gazi on one and Ohlins on the other) but you could do a lot worse than buy Rockpile's shox with the HP springs and I would be gobsmacked if you couldn't get 2 decent ones out of the 4 it would give you
    P8131063.jpg
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

Thanks for the further advice guys, I have already cleaned and spray painted the coil springs, they look great. I think the mechanic thinks he can fix the pitting (but does not want to give me a garentee). If it works they should be like new as they have only done 11k miles. Not sure when I will hear from the bike mechanic, it is obviously busy at this time of year for him!! The hyperpro springs look good might be an option for the future, as I have the front end sorted with the fork brace and 15w oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKPILE View Post
    Looking at Rockpiles shocks, does anyone know if these will these be compatable with the shocks on my 2003 bike? they look similar with the exception that my set look to have a different bottom collar and have an inner plastic cover to protect the rod?

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post

Nige - Thanks I am looking at Rockpiles shocks, do you know if these will these be compatable with the shocks on my 2003 bike? they look similar with the exception that my set look to have a different bottom collar and have an inner plastic cover to protect the rod?

I believe they are actually the same less the collars

It's not hard to service and refurb the Rex shocks. Especially the 11's with the shrader valve. The problem occurs if the rods have any significant pitting. They'll eventually leak and rechroming is going to be a problem.
    001_zpsbf5zraxa.jpg
    These were a nackered pair I refurbed and they came out spot on. But they had some pitting on the rods and eventually they leaked.
    Last edited by t20p1; 13th August 2017 at 10:46 PM.

This may sound bollocks.........................but surely worth a go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPi6aCJ7ryM

There was an article on saving a set of forks but i canny find it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast