Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New owner after some help....

Re: New owner after some help....

I think I've cracked it.....

Just got to get pics from phone to PC now.

ZZR1100 (ZX11D) will work, but you then really need a +2 degree advancer and a ZX11D ecu, i.e. 1994 onwards to take advantage of the higher revs. While the head is off, it's worth knowing that the ZRX responds very well to flowing, porting and skimming. Tuning the Rex is expensive and addictive........

Looking forward to the challenge.

I just finished getting 450 out of a rover v8.....

I'm still locked out of the members section which seems to hold a lot of the answers....

+2 advancer where would I source that?

Take it you would get an ECU from a breakers?

Is there any difference in ZZR models cams?

Also.

Any recommendations for the head work? Who is best practised with these?
    Last edited by TI GG RRRRRRRRRR; 9th June 2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: post merge (why use 3 posts when 1 will do)

Speak to Kwick for the diode pack and +2 advancer; and if you are quick, Cory (Naked Fun) for his excellent mini loom for the ecu.
    Best people in UK for head work and carb set up in my opinion is PDQ down Reading direction.
    If you are looking at increasing the revs to over 10k you MUST fit double valve springs.
    Might be worth speaking to Kwick about some re ground ZZR cams to Yoshi ST1 spec.
    Last edited by ringnut; 9th June 2017 at 11:31 PM.

Ok.
    Thanks.

I'm not using the original clocks I'm going for an electronic Speedo pod.

So some thinking to do.

I'm going zx10r front and rear. I think the brakes will be fine.....

As for the swingarm, afraid I love the look so it's staying!! Extra bracing might happen I guess.

I've got double sprung springs already so that helps.

My goal is 150hp, that'll do plenty - I've already got a bike pushing close to 190....

This bike is probably a bit silly, following a divorce I'll be fucked if she is getting money I've earned since the split so I'm getting another bike.....

Plan is to have it finished for 1st Sept when I plan to take it to Austria. No pressure then....

Oh I found Kwick via Google earlier and already been in touch.

'Arm won't need bracing, although a Greg Couch fork brace is a worthwhile investment, but if you are using ZX10 front end that should be up to the job.
    Have a look at Vapor trail tec dash boards.
    If you are using ZX10 front, are you using the wheel ?
    I'm not sure on the width of a ZX10 rear, might fit, I've a ZX9 rear widened to 6.25" with a 200 Metzeler, only just fits mind.
    I think the ZX10 rear axle is thicker, so just a case of drilling eccentric adjuster and machining some new spacers.
    My wheels are quite heavy, but I like them, most people swear by the improvement light weight wheels make to the 'Rex.

I'm not sure of the most power anyone has got from a standard bore and standard pistons from an 1100, but 150 would be the upper limits I'd have thought. These motors are more about the mid range torque. Love 'em
    Last edited by ringnut; 8th June 2017 at 10:24 PM.

That's my goal, grunt.

Something with a typical Kwak front end that sticks like Glue and grunt to fire out of corners.

It's having no fairing at all so top speed not an issue.

Yes I have a pair of zx10r wheels and have Ohlins internals for the front fork and piggybacks for the rear. Going for a 190sec tyre and offering one it it should clear.

Looking at -1 +2 on sprockets as well.
    Last edited by TI GG RRRRRRRRRR; 9th June 2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: post merge

Old skool heavyweights like the rex are good at finding out rider limits, that's why a near standard one can surprise a few people. Most of us feel better with a few mods, but there's no point in big numbers if the bike struggles as soon as straight lines disappear.

With a zzr block slugs cams and a full system (plus letting the bike breathe in) you are going to be around 135 @RW (maybe more with the flatties). At that point I'd concentrate on handling and stopping. The Yoshi profile cams for example are very top endy, to get the most out of them you need to be above 8.5k revs most of the time - their own charts demonstrate this - so if yours is a road bike you have to ask yourself what % of the time you are gonna be spending there. And no matter what you do, you're still going to have a bendy bus on your hands - the harder you ride the clearer that becomes. Which can be fun, but from my pov getting a rex that handles sweetly is the key. Without sorting the suspension to your liking and controlling the lard outright performance is irrelevant for 95% of riders. And thats before we even get to tyres......
    Last edited by PALESAINT; 8th June 2017 at 11:28 PM.

Good input thanks.

Again, it's what I'm looking for, I had this bikes forerunner in the early 90's and expect much of the same.

Given how my Victory doesn't handle I fully expect to be very pleasantly surprised. (300+ kg bike plus 125kg me, a 250 rear tyre, 140hp and fuck all brakes and damping make interesting bedfellows... but the noise and grunt make up for that)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast