Thread: 40 tooth rear sprocket

40 tooth rear sprocket

Wondering if anyone's fitted a 40 tooth rear sprocket to their 1200 and whether there's generally enough adjustment to cater for it without shortening the chain?

Re: 40 tooth rear sprocket

Yes, just the job if you do lots of miles, cuts down on looking for that elusive 6th gear. No loss low end oomph either, if anything it's better. Stock chain is fine.

Gearing commander.http://www.gearingcommander.com would suggest potential increased wear due to increased repeated contact per several revolutions but i can report no such issues after 5 years or so with this set up.
    Last edited by phoenix; 22nd May 2017 at 09:45 PM.
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Re: 40 tooth rear sprocket

Thanks that's good to know. Currently have a 43 tooth rear & standard front, had a 16 front previously but decided it was too revvy like that and not that much gain. My idea was really to stick a 40 tooth rear on simply for the sake of run what ya brungs. Seems to me raising the gearing a bit would be better to keep the front wheel down through the first few gears where its pretty light, if I can just change my sprocket beforehand without breaking chains up that'd be great. I did think I'd see some improvement with a 43 tooth but it hasn't really materialised, I did better runs with a standard 42...Given its a pretty short wheelbase bike I think raising the gearing could help a fair bit to save wasting time with the wheel in the air!