Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valves and gaskets,Valves and I need a mechanic.

Valves and gaskets,Valves and I need a mechanic.

I got royally mucked around these last 2 days by a garage I thought I could trust.

1,so has anyone had to change the rocker gasket after doing the valves mine looks perfect from outside.

yet the mechanic said it was perished, he didn't even look at it I think it was an excuse not to do the job after overbooking.

2,Kawasaki said they rarely needed replacing, he said it was dangerous if it leaked oil FFS.

3, where can I go near Oxford and get it done by someone trustworthy?

Re: Valves and gaskets,Valves and I need a mechanic.

I go here, lierally just round the corner from the H cafe Johnny, guy that runs the place is called Grant and he runs a ZRX1100, always works on mine and you can arrange a loan bike (just ask when booking) free of charge whilst he works on yours.

http://www.gpperformance.co.uk/

Pete
    LIVE EVERY DAY AS THO ITS YOUR LAST CAUSE ONE DAY YOUR SURE TO BE RIGHT!!!

ZRX1200R GREEN AND MEAN

opinions are a bit divided, but I never replaced one and I have done quite a few services on my rexes, never had an oil leak. the plug well gaskets can leak however, so I replace those every second big service interval.
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    opinions are a bit divided, but I never replaced one and I have done quite a few services on my rexes, never had an oil leak. the plug well gaskets can leak however, so I replace those every second big service interval.

Plug well gasket?

Probably wouldn't need to replace the gasket just for the sake of doing the clearances once but mine seemed to have hardened eventually and was starting to leak pretty noticeably so I replaced it. I think any leakage if there was going to be any would show up gradually really if it isn't already leaking I'd just put it back together as is.

the plug well gaskets can leak however

Best replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Chris'ZRX View Post
    Probably wouldn't need to replace the gasket just for the sake of doing the clearances

They are reusable and rarely need replacing..........expensive too.......for what they are!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    Sits between the cam cover and the head where the spark plug goes Johnny (locates on the dowel)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Z...siCiEjcPJkZuXA
    thanks I took the advice and bought those I didn't even hunt for cheaper.

thanks for letting me have the rad cover as well, exactly what I was after its just landed.

Why not save yourself a few quid & do it yourself. It's not very difficult, just a bit fiddly & time consuming.
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

thanks this was a good call I had oil in the wells they hadn't been changed ever.
    I hadnt seen it on the service sheet and must have missed all mentions on here to change them.

the valves however where perfect 93,000 miles, not needed adjusting once never burnt oil or water motor still pulls like a train.

so many people the last week or two have complimented me on how good condition my bike is including todays mechanic who was raving about it.

still love my Rex, so much so I am taking her on holiday next week.

Great it worked out for you.
    I think it was poor advice to change a re-usable rocker cover gasket when there was no external sign of leakage.
    Just need to make sure that it seats (and stays put) properly on the edge of the head when the cover goes back on.
    I agree your bike looked super when we saw it at the Burford Garden Centre this season !!
    From Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast