Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low speed misfire.

Low speed misfire.

Ok chaps I need to pick your brains. I have developed an annoying low speed misfire. It sounds like it's only running on 3, but only at tickover or very small throttle openings. Anything above this & it runs perfectly. So far I have changed the plugs, leads & coils but it's still there so i suspect it may be carb related as if the choke is put on slightly it seems to improve things. No oil or water in the spark plug tunnels.

Seems very strange as last week it was running perfectly & nothing has been done to it since then.

Any thoughts?
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Re: Low speed misfire.

Not really, the tickover is lumpy as if on 3.

The carbs are off & on my bench as we speak. Will pick up some carb cleaner in the morning & see how it goes. Don't really fancy working on carbs whilst they are dangling at the side of the bike.....too many small bits to lose!!

let us know how you get on kev, my 1100 is the same at low revs. cant filter at low revs , it nearly throws me off the seat

Cheers Nige. Thanks for your input. However, i suspect I have found what the problem may be.......

Having taken out the pilot adjusting screws, left in the hole is a tiny washer with rubber o rings underneath which have become perished & are falling to bits so i suspect particles of these have found their way into the system & are blocking it. Problem now is finding some new tiny little rubber o rings. Bogs, will post how I get on. Last time I had a similar problem was an air leak on the inlet manifold where it joins the head, again, the o rings were perished & letting air in but I have not long since replaced mine so I hope they are still OK.
    Last edited by phoenix; 8th May 2017 at 07:07 PM.

The O rings are a bastard size as i tried to source them a while back , so it may be the only option is going to the dealer - if they sell them separately.

If it is small pieces of rubber in the idle circuit galleries then the U/S clean wont shift it as it won`t break down rubber , so the only way to remove them will be compressed air or a piece of very thin wire.

Kendo
    Last edited by kendo; 8th May 2017 at 07:21 PM.
    Take the pieces and build them skywards !

Phe,
    If you need an ultrasonic cleaner you can borrow mine, or bring your carbs over and we can do them here.
    Life is hard - and then you die...

Thanks for the offer. It's something I want to avoid if at all possible. I spoke with NRP carbs sometime last year about having this done & they rekon it's quite an involved job to do it properly..ie the whole bank of carbs has to be stripped completely so pockets of cleaning fluid are not left in places where it's not supposed to be & stripping a bank of carbs down to its bare shell & probably more importantly, then putting it all back together again isn't something I would be exactly happy to take on.
    Last edited by phoenix; 8th May 2017 at 08:43 PM.

Kev, if your pilot screw Orings are perished chances are the vacuum stub Orings and fuel rail Orings are also past sell by date.
    16 in all. Don't think you can get them separately from Kawasaki. They only sell the complete fittings. I've bought several sets in the past from KWICK on the OA.
    Completely stripping the carbs is well within your competency as long as your methodical.
    Once you've done it once you realise it's not black magic. In fact quite therapeutic. I'd give it a go. Those 15yr old carbs deserve it.

Well you could have a point there. I realise that it isn't in it's first flush of youth anymore but the worst thing i have ever done to it was lay it up for 12 months. Before that i have had 14 years & 74K miles of almost fault free riding. Get it back on the road again & the old girl gives me a load of niggling little problems to sort out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast