Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12k service

12k service

Can anyone let me know a cost for 12000km service on my 08 1200r? Been quoted $850. What were valve clearance like at 12K? Did they need adjusting?

Re: 12k service

Quote Originally Posted by steverex View Post
    Can anyone let me know a cost for 12000km service on my 08 1200r? Been quoted $850. What were valve clearance like at 12K? Did they need adjusting?
    check zrxoa.com re pricing. There is no rule of thumb as to which bikes will require adjustment at any given time. Some will need adjustment at relatively low miles, some wont.

I was looking here:
    https://ownersmanuals2.com/kawasaki/...s-manual-52877
    and it says valves need to be checked every 10000km...are people really doing that? My Ducati Monster had to be checked at every 12000km and I felt it was pretty high maintenance compared to Yamahas which can go over 40000km without the valves being checked.

Thanks!

Just because it says they need checking doesn't mean they will need any adjustment. Checking is no big deal really & gives you peace of mind that all is OK. Cheaper than a burnt out valve anyway. None of mine needed doing at 6k but most did at 12. Once this initial 'bedding' in is done they will most likely stay OK for a long time.
    Se si muove, sorpassilo. Se non, lucidilo.

Every motor is different BUT Kawasaki recommend 7.5k miles interval on early 12's and 15k miles interval on the later ones.
    The choice is yours BUT 12k kms is too early for an 08 bike according to big K!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Just because it says they need checking doesn't mean they will need any adjustment. Checking is no big deal really & gives you peace of mind that all is OK. Cheaper than a burnt out valve anyway.

I was asking cause I just bought the bike, it has 61000km on it, previous owner rode 3000km on it, and the one before supposedly had the valves checked just before selling. It sounds and runs great, but I guess I'll just ride it as it is this summer and have them checked at the end of the season..

Sounds pretty healthy to me:
    Last edited by Speedo007; 20th April 2017 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
    previous owner supposedly had the valves checked just before selling.
    Supposedly...........I would check them for peace of mind!

My Triumph T595 burnt a valve out in less than 6000 miles .Manufacturing fault But get em checked. The bike shop ( Robinsons of Rochdale) loaned me a Speed Triple ( T509) whilst they dealt with it ( AND free tickets to WSB at Donny) Excellent service - and good bacon butties - from a good shop!
    MOTORCYCLE ACTION GROUP LIFE MEMBER

What reassured me a bit, is that the bike is in showroom condition and it shows it was well looked after and the guy looked very meticulous with his toys. I've seen bikes that weren't in this condition after just a year. He's supposed to include all the maintenance log and invoices, so I guess I'll decide then if I really need the EXTRA peace of mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast