Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slip

Clutch slip

When I'm giving it max thrust got some clutch slip mostly in 2nd but had it in 3rd gear the other night as well.
    Would it need an oil change, I'd put semi synthetic in it, or would it more likely be ye olde clutch itself?
    Thank you!
    Baz

Re: Clutch slip

Lots of questions, it's your 06 how many miles has it done?
    What oil is in there at the moment, fully synthetic has been known to cause clutch slip.
    When was it last changed?
    Cheers al

Thanks, 40,000 on the clock.
    Think the oil was changed last year before bought it. Ill check the service history tomorrow, at work now.
    To be honest i bought a litre bottle of 10 40 and topped it up so that probably hadn't helped.
    Yeah I'd read about full synthetic, I'll get some Motul and a filter. Is that right about Silkolene being more likely to give clutch slip?

I bought mine with 35k or so on the clock and it needed new friction plates at around 75k, when I changed them it looked as if they'd already been replaced before as they weren't coloured like the OEM ones are supposed to be (different coloured plates on outside of friction plate set with the original Kawasaki ones) so it may well be your friction plates are a little worn out. I've never noticed issues with different oil brands and the clutch.

Thank Chris, was gonna try and do it all before the Ace next Sunday.
    If it came to it , is it best to stick to original Kawasaki clutch ?

I don't know which would last longer but EBC do describe theirs as 'heavy duty', I used their springs as well can only help. The thing is the price difference though - 115 for a set of Kawasaki frictions and under 50 for the EBC's...
    You maybe get a little more feel using the Kawasaki outer plates (theres two different part numbers), I put EBC on mine and ordered a couple of the Kawasaki outers (8 each) they're a slightly softer compound to the 7 inner plates apparently and supposed to be better for reducing wear on the basket. To be honest though it'd work well enough just putting the complete set of EBCs in, I just decided to faff around with them as my engine was in bits anyway!
    Last edited by Chris'ZRX; 8th April 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wild32 View Post
    fully synthetic has been known to cause clutch slip.
    the old style friction modifiers went out with the ark. I can't recall a single case of clutch slip on a rex being attributed to fs oil, but I have to be careful with this one because the dreaded J word is in danger of putting in an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    would it more likely be ye olde clutch itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Thanks, 40,000 on the clock.

If the clutch has done 40k...........it is 100% certain to me, that it is fucked.............so change the oil if you wish BUT you will still need a new clutch fitting!

My first clutch went at 22k after being thrashed from new by me!

Might be the clutch, though mine still had life in it after 75k. I would recommend OEM plates, since the cork plates make for a smoother shift.
    ships get called 'she'
    I bet torpedoes don't

I need friction clutch plates and springs. Can anyone recommend the EBC clutch plates? Which are quite a saving on genuine kawasaki plates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast