Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ZRX 1200 N made into a (hopefully great) scrambler

ZRX 1200 N made into a (hopefully great) scrambler

Hello, fellow ZRXers!

So I have been dreaming about customizing a bike for a few years now... I am a big Kawasaki fan, and was looking for a "classic" looking bike, with tubular frame. Being 1.90 and 115 kg, I needed a bigger machine, so the ZRX was not a difficult choice.

Finally, last spring, I found this 1200N in Germany, in great condition, and with nice price tag.

$_57 (5).JPG

Long story short, I want to turn it into a scrambler (of sorts). I do have quite decent wrenching skills, and hopefully some fabrication skills as well. My main goal is to do as much of the work as possible myself, so I am willing to sometimes compromise the looks (hopefully not the safety) to being able to say "I made it".
    The budget is also important, I want to try to keep it as low as possible until I get to the end, and then improve where possible, if it makes sense.

I have been doing quite a lot of reading of the forum for a while now, so I have seen that some people prefer the factory looks, and others not so much. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference, and this build will reflect mine.

The loose plan:
    - change the colour to a dark green
    - cut the rear subframe, custom brown seat with scrambler style back end
    - knobby tires
    - paint all the chrome/alu parts black
    - fork gaiters, cover the shiny part between the yokes
    - exhaust wrap
    - change exhaust can, to maybe reverse cone, and reposition under the foot rest
    - change and reposition coolant tank
    - new battery box/mount
    - still undecided on the air filtration system.

I want to get as much as possible done until spring and get it on the road, and then resume after the riding season is over.

If this topic will be of interest to anyone, I would be happy to post the progress. Suggestions and comments are welcome, of course!

Re: ZRX 1200 N made into a (hopefully great) scrambler

Welcome good sir

There has been / are lots of different builds going on so I for one would be interested.

Scramblers need hi pipes tho sir............................high pipes I say
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianripa View Post
    Hello, fellow ZRXers!
    Welcome Adrian

Long story short, I want to turn it into a scrambler (of sorts).

That sounds different a scrambler, don't forget to post plenty of photos as your project proceeds BUT don't be surprised if some peeps take the piss! So please before you start this project, you must promise not to fuck off to the OA, just remember it's all good fun!

You sound like a PROPER mad bugger. Welcome aboard and keep us posted

Brown seat and Knobblies...
    Top Knot and skinny jeans.
    HIPSTER ALERT!
    1 of 6. " Essex Geezers "

www.dogsos.co.uk

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I am quite thick skinned and can take a joke or criticism, thanks for the heads-up though. Won't be fucking off to the OA either :P (unless maybe they offer some really sweet deal...)
    Nige, I agree about the high pipes, but the bike is unlikely to ever see any real offroad action, and having some hot pipes really close to my legs is not very appealing right now... A bridge to be crossed later on...

As mentioned, the bike is now green. Had to paint all of it to change the colour in the registration papers beffore doing any mods. The tail and side panels will not be used, I'll probably try to sell them at some point along with the rest of the bits left to buy something nice for the wife/bike :D

20170105_113623.jpg

So I have finally gathered the cojones to cut the perfectly good work of some very experienced engineers...
    The first challenge, and probably the biggest one, is deciding on the length and direction of the rear subframe. I used some flexible tubing and my advanced Photoshop skills to help me figure things out

Resize of colaj cadru spate.jpg

Finding a place to bend some tubing has been a nightmare, I live in a quite big city but it appears to be a dying trade... everyone just buys the (cast) bends and welds them together... I believe I have found someone though, we'll try to get some work done in the next few days.

I agree high pipes will be difficult but think they should at least either be low and kick up or have a high level end can.

I like the last seat pic the best but think that wants kicking up a tad also

Still, if we all liked the same
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I am quite thick skinned and can take a joke or criticism, thanks for the heads-up though. Won't be fucking off to the OA either :P (unless maybe they offer some really sweet deal...)

They do!..............they blow sunshine up your arse............some shallow peeps love it!

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Can't wait to rip the piss out of this fucker.........

Welcome Adrian, I think you might have found the correct forum, lots of benders here.........
    Birdie num num........

thing is, if it isn't going off road knobly tyres wont help you one little bit.... plus no sane person would take it off piste even with off road rubber imo. Small front wheel, road suspension with questionable OE damping up front, lots of weight and vulnerability, bars all wrong, gearing not suited.... I know because I've done it (down a track to mate's farm a few times) and it just isn't a very relaxing experience. I also hate getting the rex covered in shit and that has happened every single time. In about 90 secs. Then again I make no claims for sanity.

If you're doing it just for looks the rex is a handsome bike which isn't exactly crying out to be turned into a tracker / scrambler / caff racer. I can think of more suitable candidates but that's just my opinion. Welcome and good luck.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast