Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Servicing 6 pot brakes

Servicing 6 pot brakes

I've read through a few threads about the general opinion that the 6 pot calipers as fitted to the Rex's are a bit poor and i tend to agree comparing them to previous bikes...... Blade, R1's, RSVR, Firestorm.
    The brakes on my Rex have braided hose, new disks and new HH pads and are just not that inspiring. Point to note is that the brake travel is not excessive and the bike has just passed an MOT without any issued with the brakes. The brakes just don't inspire confidence.
    My Firestorm i had from new in 99 and i put HH pads in within a few hundred miles of purchase and these where leagues better and i could get the back wheel off the ground with ease, although it is a lighter bike.
    Anyway back to the main point of the Rex brakes and that they more than likely need some TLC, as indicated in some of the threads read on this forum. So as the bike has some 28k on the clock i thought that if i'm going to service the brakes i might as well fit new seals as they may well be a bit stiff. So does anyone have any opinions/recommendations where to get them?
    Evilbay is probably the cheapest but not necessarily the best quality and Kawasaki will no doubt be the best quality but cost an arm & a leg, so i'm after a happy medium, knowing that Kawasaki don't make the seals.

Re: Servicing 6 pot brakes

wemoto are ok, I have used them on rex, no problems. also powerhouse sell seal kits , I think.

The 6 pot calipers are not poor if working well, it's poor servicing that eventually fucks them! You compare braking on a ZRX to braking on a Blade, R1's RSVR and a Firestorm all of which are far lighter bikes and will stop quicker. My 6 pots will easily lock the front end up, if I want them too, so in my humble opinion you can't improve on that!
    With regards to new seals you can get them from Wemoto BUT they are obviously not genuine. I believe that early Bandits had the same calipers, so you can use Suzuki seals, which are in fact the same BUT far cheaper!
    On saying all of that, there are many deluded people on this site that insist the Toks are shite and fit 4 pot Nissins for no other reason other that they can't spell Tokico! Some say that the Nissins have more feel BUT I don't think that is an issue if you are talking about all out stopping power!

The Powerhouse kit is very comprehensive, just short of brake fluid really to complete the job, and a very reasonable price i think.
    The Powerhouse kit is the one for me.

I also agree with the comments about poor servicing which i'm sure is the reason for my brakes not working a well as they should.

Thanks for the help.

you do not have to fit new seals all the time.just done mine.stripped cleaned and back together.if pistons are pretty clean seals are probably ok.it is the grooves the seals sit in that fill with corrosion and grip the piston's.these have to be spotless.build with rubber grease.
    it's a good day when you wake up and stretch out and don't touch wood

Quote Originally Posted by z1racer View Post
    you do not have to fit new seals all the time.just done mine.stripped cleaned and back together.if pistons are pretty clean seals are probably ok.it is the grooves the seals sit in that fill with corrosion and grip the piston's.these have to be spotless.build with rubber grease.
    ^^This^^

Ok, but i think that's a lot of effort without changing the seals as they are only 60 for the kit which is complete with the grease, that i don't have, replacement O cords for splitting the calipers and copper washers.

Quote Originally Posted by z1racer View Post
    it is the grooves the seals sit in that fill with corrosion and grip the piston's.these have to be spotless.build with rubber grease.

Quote Originally Posted by nidgester View Post
    Ok, but i think that's a lot of effort without changing the seals

Do the job correctly and only do it once!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    I use a little brass wire brush in a dremmel to clean up the seal grooves and it not only takes no time to do but its groovy man
    ^^^^This

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    I always use powerhouse-uk (they are on the bay)

Can't fault their quality but not the cheapest

The six pot design should in theory offer more feel, but for me they always lack a bit of bite. Plus they definitely require more maintenance.

Then again the Nissin four pots which a lot of people replace them with aren't exactly state of the art. They benefit from a top notch m/c.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast