Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap front brakes on my zrx1100

Crap front brakes on my zrx1100

Good morning
    How do I make my front end braking better ? You would of thought having 6 pot calipers it would be great ?!!!!!!!
    Been told get a brembo master cylinder !

Been told get tokico 4 pot calipers !

What's the best way to stop a zrx fast ? Pl s

Re: Crap front brakes on my zrx1100

Six pots are fine providing they are in tip top condition , when was the fluid replaced , are all pistons moving , what condition is the m/c in (mileage) and do you still have the original hoses fitted ?

Nissin four pots from the Bandits are a common replacement for the stock ones but they will be getting on a bit now and carrying some miles.

As with everything , how much money are you willing to throw at it , a fluid change only or a set of radial calipers / mounts and a larger radial m/c ?

Kendo
    Take the pieces and build them skywards !

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    Six pots are fine providing they are in tip top condition

depends what pads are in there, most prefer ebc hh, I like carbone lorraine, (after all they stop high speed trains and military jets, )
    some like changing for 4 pots, and say they are better, I tried and did not notice a difference even with the same make pads etc, perhaps a master cyl change is needed too?
    tbh, I find my standard set up very much up to the job....
    Last edited by digger06; 9th July 2016 at 02:09 PM.

thanks all,
    he 'Eddie" has braided hoses and galfer wavy disc and new galfer pads , its the lever travel that is too much before the bite , which is nearly all the way to the handlebar

Quote Originally Posted by Larsy View Post
    thanks all, he 'Eddie" has braided hoses and galfer wavy disc and new galfer pads , its the lever travel that is too much before the bite , which is nearly all the way to the handlebar
    I had the same set up but found the Galfer pads to be shite and changed to EBC HH, however if your callipers are not tip top no pads will be any good and you will also have too much lever travel!
    Strip your callipers, clean the dust and fluid seal groves, fit new seals and rebuild with some red rubber grease, bleed up, job done!!!

I agree with Nige saying change the calipers for 4 pots and a radial master cylinder, I have had several bikes over the years fitted with 6 pot Tokico calipers and they are without doubt the worst calipers ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    Bearing in mind your master cylinder may be worn...........................in which case save your pennies and fit a brembo radial

However, mine has done nearly 77k and is as good as ever, solid lever with no excess travel!

Quote Originally Posted by Rimotu66 View Post
    I have had several bikes over the years fitted with 6 pot Tokico calipers and they are without doubt the worst calipers ever made.
    That maybe true BUT there is fuck all wrong with correctly maintained Tokico's, although they may need more regular maintenance!

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rexer View Post

That maybe true BUT there is fuck all wrong with correctly maintained Tokico's, although they may need more regular maintenance!
    Only speaking in my experiences, GSXR1100W, GSXR750WX (strange how the next model came out with four pots), TLR1000 x2 (second one changed to GSXR1000 radial calipers). Apart from radial calipers I much prefer 4 pot Nissins, a stronger brake and a better feel, again just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXNige View Post
    Oh it be horses for courses sir............................based on ability, confidence, perception and a bit of blingy bling thrown into the mix me thinks
    I agree and if I had a spare couple of grand, then Brembo radials all round would be my next upgrade and would be based totally on a bling factor, just like my Ohlins and Metmachex etc etc BUT I don't!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast