Thread: Knocking front brake

Knocking front brake

Fitted a new set of EBC HH pads and now there is a knocking noise from the brakes, discs are true so could it be a sticking piston? Ive always fitted these pads to my bikes and never had this before, I have checked everything and nothing is loose. Its knocking when I am off the brake and not when I am on it. I thought it was because I did not fit the rattle shims so I fitted them and it is just the same.

Re: Knocking front brake

Sounds like pistons not coming home or the bobbins need fettling which would compound it (and vici verci)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoPqN2GBdw

Unless the discos are shagged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmS4po8hIeo
    What Goes Around..........!!!

i had same problem after fitting these pads, found they are slightly smaller size fit in the caliper, as i then had a very slight warp in one disc, every time wheel turned the pad would catch and drag with the warped part of disc and get pulled up in the caliper then drop, giving the knocking noise, it was surprisingly loud too, new discs and problem solved for me!

Just found this thread after searching for knocking noise from front brake which stopped when the brake was applied. It was driving me nuts trying to find where it was coming from. It only seemed to happen when the brakes had warmed up.
    Anyhoo, Nige’s link to the bobbins cleaning vid proved to be the solution to a mysterious and frustrating problem.
    Once again thanks to Nige for returning my sanity.
    Been out today after cleaning me bobbins and knocking is no more!
    Sorry to here of your trouble btw (personal and bike related) hope bike problem is nothing too major and you can get Mobile again soon mate.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZ1 View Post
    Sorry to here of your trouble btw (personal and bike related) hope bike problem is nothing too major and you can get Mobile again soon mate.
    Cheers Dave and now last week is done am hopeful we can now look forward

Just waiting on a set of rings as i cannot find the ones i bought from Pal and with a bit of luck ill make the Scotland meet (still the head to check, pipe to paint/polish and put it all back together on a day a week)
    What Goes Around..........!!!

Same problem, new pads a bit smaller . Noticed wear in the caliper where the pads were tapping, filed them out. TIG welded small pads on the new brake pads and filed them to fit new gap. Problem solved. Could have been a slight warp in the disc to drag the pads but the mod has the tapping and the brakes are just fine now . Hope this helps

Well, there is always thermo expansion to think about..
    Bloody Foreigner

Stump the Chump players apply here...