Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Factory fork oil.

Re: Factory fork oil.

classic thread revived as I'm changing mine this week. 5w Silkolene as per but the air gap is every bit as significant, changing that has just as much influence on the outcome as viscosity. Plan is to reduce the gap a tad because under heavy load the forks can bottom out, and I don't want to mess with the preload as the set up feels pretty decent.

Ralph's (S42) chart - linked earlier in thread - is a bit of a revelation, what it says on the tin has very little relationship to actual function. Some 2.5w oils will in fact behave in a similar way to 10w varieties.

Are you using British air or Japanese air for the gap ?

On my own bikes and the ones i wrench on for people i use motul fork oil, i do that so i have a baseline of the viscosity and know exactly if im going up or down when changing it, have tried different brands, but between the brands a 10 may be as thick as another they call 20.

So find an oil that you like with a fair price and stick to that brand.

Oil height.

I weigh 100kg battle ready, my springs are linear 0.95 and the oil height is set to 110mm, no springs and fully compressed legs, oil is motul 10W, the bike is an 2007 with the silver legs.

Its perfect, and i have aprox 10mm stroke left for the really nasty stuff

P.

I looked at your weight and being old, cant really visualise Kg proportions for people but thought you must be hollow as it didn't sound much

I converted my own ample proportions to Kg and I am 85kg ....

I think I will start using metric for me from now on lol - It sounds much less

Quote Originally Posted by prestone View Post
    On my own bikes and the ones i wrench on for people i use motul fork oil, i do that so i have a baseline of the viscosity and know exactly if im going up or down when changing it, have tried different brands, but between the brands a 10 may be as thick as another they call 20.

So find an oil that you like with a fair price and stick to that brand.

Oil height.

I weigh 100kg battle ready, my springs are linear 0.95 and the oil height is set to 110mm, no springs and fully compressed legs, oil is motul 10W, the bike is an 2007 with the silver legs.

Its perfect, and i have aprox 10mm stroke left for the really nasty stuff

P.
    all makes good sense

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345