Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Factory fork oil.

Re: Factory fork oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    You're just being ridiculous now on purpose
    Of course you buy the correct grade (they do 5W and 10W).
    Of course you change the soup to fresh stuff.....just saying new stuff is probably very similar in performance and may come from the same source.

Amazingly I actually agree with BruceJ on something.
    Fresh oil and getting the air gap right is the main thing.

You go ahead and waste your money, at least it's stimulating the economy
    The point of posting the link to the oil viscosity chart was to show you that the grade written on the tin is meaningless, the fork oil manufactures only use the 5W/ 10W system because they feel that we are used to it and they don't want to confuse us thicko's, the only thing for sure is that a 10W fork oil is not likely to be 10W and it will be different for different manufacturers.

Everybody is free to use what they want but like i said, is an extra 3 for one of the best oils as opposed to an unknown oil like halfrauds really un affordable or even worth the risk?
    UK Turbo Division Member # 1 of 2 You Will Be Assimilated
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I put Motul 7.5 weight in mine when I changed the springs recently for weighted ones. Very happy with the results, good oil! Have previously used Halfords fork oil in a variety of bikes, also seemed good oil! Honestly I think its possible to get too anal about this stuff its hardly a life or death matter and I'm sure any replacement oil will be better than old degraded stuff.

Its an oil thread, of course its anal.

I would have to disagree about the life and death bit though, with fork oil it could be.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

So if one chooses the 'wrong' fork oil they're gambling with their life! Blimey...

If you have the wrong tyre pressures you are gambling with your life as well. if you put a very thick oil in your forks you will have too much compression damping and the bike will tend to run wide in corners and slide real easy, too thin and you will have a very bouncy ride, that wouldn't be too much of a gamble more like suicide.

It is important.

Just for Purge I have done a bit of digging and the Halfords fork oil is made by Comma, and as near as I can find out has a viscosity of 55 centistokes at 40c.

As far as I can make out from data from bob is the oil guy site, the ISO spec for 10 W oil is between 41 to 50 centistokes at 40c.

So even though Halfords market the oil as a 5W30 it is actually heavier than a 10W oil and if Kawasaki do use a 10W oil as standard then the Halfords oil is too heavy and will compound the problem of too much compression damping.

Also Comma don't seem to make fork oil that they sell under their own name, which is worrying.

Incidently, I have found another chart HERE and there are some Kawasaki oils listed, the Kawasaki G10 fork oils viscosity is 33.9 centistokes which, if that is what they supply our bikes with, means the Halfords oil is far too thick.

Bottom line, would I use Halfords fork oil?, No, not whilst I have a hole in my arse.

If I was to put my head on the block and recommend a fork oil I would go for Silkolene Pro RSF 5W it is 26.7 centistokes at 40c so a little thinner than the Kawasaki G10 at 33.9 so should help the compression damping problem, it has a very high VI so should hold its damping qualities at higher temps.

As we don't know for sure that Kawasaki use their G10 oil in our bikes, the recommendation would be where I would start, if it turned out that the oil was too thick or thin then I would use one of the other Pro RSF oil grades, and the reason for that would be that as they are made by the same company the viscosity would go up or down as you would expect with the grade numbers.

SPEC SHEET

RSF 5W is 11.99 from SHORROCKS 4 more than Halfords oil but hay, they do have a proper spec sheet available.

10.99 at Opie.
    Last edited by storm42; 10th October 2014 at 05:57 PM.

Johannesburg, South Africa, next to the Kyalami Racing Cicuit.

Quote Originally Posted by storm42 View Post
    Oil would be no good without the additives.

Synthetic oils are not remanufactured.
    I agree that additives are needed.

Actually, synthetic oils are remanufactured. As an example, Google EcoPower Oils in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
    I agree that additives are needed.

Actually, synthetic oils are remanufactured. As an example, Google EcoPower Oils in the USA.
    The line between synthetic oils and dino oil has been blurred since (i think) Castrol took Mobil to court re: synthetic oil make up. They managed to convince a court that the amount of dino base oil they used in their synthetic oil was just a carrier for the synthetic additive pack and the oil was in fact fully synthetic, obviously not the case as the base oil isn't synthetic and therefore cannot be as good as a full synthetic based oil.

Because of this, is could be possible to use re-claimed base stock in a labeled synthetic oil, but it isn't a full synthetic oil as far as I am concerned.

For me a full synthetic oil hasn't been anywhere near a dinosaur or plants, it has been born in a lab. That is why I go for Amsoil or Silkolene Comp4 XP oil for my engines, although I think Amsoil is the only one out there that is defiantly fully synthetic, like i said the line is blurred now.

However, my engine will be coming apart soon and we will all see the wear apparent from 30000 miles of mainly full synth use whilst both highly tuned and then turbo charged.

Could go horribly wrong for me

Johannesburg, South Africa, next to the Kyalami Racing Cicuit.

Quote Originally Posted by storm42 View Post
    However, my engine will be coming apart soon and we will all see the wear apparent from 30000 miles of mainly full synth use whilst both highly tuned and then turbo charged.

Could go horribly wrong for me
    Am pressing thumbs for you...........waiting for the next chapter in this saga !!!

Done plenty of track days / fast road blasts on Halfords fork oil, and not once did I fear for my life
    Team Phat Bastid (Euro Division)
    HCW Founding Member...and they fucking love it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast