Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory fork oil.

Factory fork oil.

Hi, can anyone tell me what the original factory fork oil is when the bike is new?
    Jim.

Re: Factory fork oil.

Probably not, they swap and change manufacturers regularly. It may have been Showa oil, but any one of several suppliers may have manufactured it for them.

Yamalube for example has had 3 different manufacturers in the last few years that I know of .

If you are just referring to the SAE grade from the factory, you want 10W.
    fuck this for a game of soldiers

Just use Halfords fork oil. Nobody will ever know and it works just as well.
    Team Phat Bastid (Euro Division)
    HCW Founding Member...and they fucking love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    No you need the original overpriced fully synthetic with gold flecks in or the world will end.

Jeez Purge, you'll be saying you can put Comma oil in the engine next!

I use Motul fork oil, but I get it cheap.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

As usual with oil, nothing is that simple. whilst a difference in a reported grade may not make much difference in an engine, in your forks you can feel the difference a quite small grade change makes.

So, if you are happy with the feel of your forks, you need the same oil at oil change time and that is were your problems start as like Cowasocky said the manufactures bugger about with suppliers to get the cheapest deal.

Have a look at THIS chart and notice the difference in the centistoke measurement which is a measured resistance to flow at a given temperature, and you will see how little the manufactures spec means.

Silkolene Pro RSF (2.5wt) would probably be better than Castrol Fork Oil (10wt) as it has a higher viscosity index but very similar resistance to flow.

So it is trial and error to find what suits you and then go for an oil with the grade that suits you that has a high viscosity index as that means it will stay in grade over a bigger temperature range.

Halfrauds oil may suit but all their oils are made as cheap as possible for Halfrauds and it is not worth the few quid it will save IMHO. Halfrauds fork oil may be half the price of good stuff but when did you last change your oil?

Now where did that tyre thread go

Just had another look through that chart and whilst the Silkolene Pro RSF (2.5wt) is probably the best performing oil in the list due to its high VI, Slikolene also make one of the worst oil with their Silkolene Fork Oil (20wt) with the lowest VI. Go figure.
    Last edited by storm42; 4th October 2014 at 09:12 PM.
    UK Turbo Division Member # 1 of 2 You Will Be Assimilated
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    No you need the original overpriced fully synthetic with gold flecks in or the world will end.

Jeez Purge, you'll be saying you can put Comma oil in the engine next!

I use Motul fork oil, but I get it cheap.
    I hope it isn't the first Motul oil in that list
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Seems to me, its a good job Halfrauds don't make tyres.

That's where Rossi has been going wrong, using Halfords oils.

I challenge anyone on this Board to tell the difference between Halfords oil and the expensive stuff (probably the same source anyway).

Main thing is to replace the hundred year old soup shite you have in there with fresh stuff
    Team Phat Bastid (Euro Division)
    HCW Founding Member...and they fucking love it!

Last edited by Cowasocky; 14th August 2015 at 05:35 PM.
    fuck this for a game of soldiers

Changed mine a few weeks ago, used the right amount of belray 10w, good old mineral stuff, the difference in how the front forks felt was noticeably better and since then i have got the settings fine tuned so no complaints about the front at all now. Over here a lot of bike shops used to put ATF in, some still do

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast