Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZX14 upside down fork conversion almost finished.

ZX14 upside down fork conversion almost finished.

Hi everyone, im now on the home straight with my conversion, so thought i would try and post some pictures.
    Still need to bleed the brakes and cooling system, some grease in the swinging arm, and a final check and shes ready to go.
    Still have to decide what indicators to fit, and i have brand new standard mirrors to fit.
    Big thanks to all who have helped and advised me during the conversion, and im always happy to help and advise anyone who fancies having a go over here. The guys in the states who have been really helpful are always there to help and advise as well.
    I have to say without their help, im not sure i would have tried to do the conversion, but i have enjoyed every single minute i worked on it.
    Basically i had a bog standard 2001 with less than 3000 miles on the clock.
    Ive had the standard wheels painted black with a fleck of green which comes alive when the sun catches it. Almost looks black but comes alive in the sun, when we have any!.
    ZX14 forks and triples.
    GSXR brembo calipers with special hoses from HEL.
    ZX12R Armstrong discs to front, and standard zrx 1200 armstrong to rear.
    GSXR 750 front mudguard, trimmed and adjusted to suit. Color matched almost on the money from a company over here in UK, RS Paints.
    Home made mounting brackets for front guard and clocks / top mounting bracket.
    Greg couch rear hanger, torque arm, oil lines, top clamp for bars, aluminium oil rail.
    Undertray colour matched.
    Full Akrapovic.
    Ive had the side panels and air box covers hydragraphic printed, but ended up almost as expnsive as carbon to be honest.
    All polishing etc iv carried out myself.
    I had the swing arm, casings and rocker, rad covers etc painted when the wheels were done.
    Eventually, the other items i want to add are Ohlins rear, Gilles rearsets, and ive got to fit a pair of Galespeeds.
    Also will be fitting a jet kit and pods.
    Im also tempted to put new transfers on the fairing, as mine have slightly lifted where previous owner must have over tightened them.
    I had thought about a different paintjob, but the standard paint is mint so it seems a shame to alter, and i do like it.
    Anyway, heres some pictures, hope you like, best regards, Chris.

zrx pics 001.JPGzrx pics 002.JPGzrx pics 003.JPGzrx pics 004.JPGzrx pics 005.JPGzrx pics 006.JPGzrx pics 007.JPGzrx pics 008.JPG

Re: ZX14 upside down fork conversion almost finished.

I'm pretty sure that's how the front end should have been assembled from the factory. Beautiful job. What were your expenses and build timeline? Any tips for the rest of us dreamers?

Thanks for posting the pics Chris, that's a lovely job you've done there

all mint mate, as i new it would be, forks and brakes look spot on if you decide against the small indies, think of me mate hope to see you soon chris

Looks really nice and well put together

My only issue with fitting a modern USD frontend to the REX is that the wrap round mudguard is more suited to a race rep as opposed to a retro , I have the same dilemma with the Busa frontend on my second REX and am at present trying to graft a standard one onto the USD forks.

Kendo
    Take the pieces and build them skywards !

Thanks for your comments guys. The forks were brand new take off forks from the usa. The only problem with the usa parts is that we get hit with import duty over here. I agree with Kendo, i would have liked a more standard type front guard, and have kept mine in case anyone ever comes up with brackets i would accept, but at the moment i think they spoil any upside down form conversion. The gsxr guard i removed the rear stays and had them plastic welded onto the guard in a position so i could use the zx14 rear stay, and i think it now looks as though it was meant to be there. I also shaped the guard, trimmed here and there, and rounded it at the front to give a more older school look.
    As RSV Rex knows, i would only put new items on my bike, as the existing were pretty much mint, and what appealed to me was the forks in the states were new take off forks. I still think they are available. I think with import duty they owed me around the 450 mark. That also included top and bottom yoke. I had looked at ZX9 ones but i would not have been happy with condition. The top yoke cost around 200 with import duty from kwick on us site, and the stem around the same from one of the guys on the same site, Mike. Push out the zx14 stem, fit the new stem from mike, with new lower seal and bearing, and it all fitted straight on.
    I had to trim the top yoke slightly to get all to fit, slightly altered the bolts holding the clocks on, made a couple of brackets for the top to mount the framework and it all went on. Costs i reckon would be from around a grand all in maybe a bit more with the brembo calipers. Im happy to advise anyone who wants to have a go regards, Chris

What have you done for lock stops ,

the original ones are far too restrictive .

Welcome to the club btw

mp
    Hcw's . Innovator or Imitator, what are you ?

Ive filed the stops on the zx14 lower yoke. Im going to file it a bit more when i remove the top fairing over the coming week when i bleed the front brakes.
    I would rather file a little, check, file a little until i get it as i want it.
    All part of the fun!.

Top job Chris looks factory mate
    76 KH250B1, 76 KH400A3, 72 H2 750 Special Mr Tango, 97 Rex 1100 Mr Tango 2.... Be wary of any man that keeps pigs! They will go through bone like butter........

Seriously quality job that.

Question : Did you need to have a new stem made for the bottom yoke, or was the length of the original 14 suitable ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast