Re: ZRX 400 Faq.

only if you can read japanese.

Team Fat Bastard
    RBLR1000 Iron Butt UK Member 2012
    I'm not a complete idiot.............................some bits are missing

Moriwaki man! Visitor

Post Kawasaki Workshop manual.

Quote Originally Posted by nickb.
    Is there a manual for these little beast available anywhere???
    Got one yesterday covering bikes from 94-06, except...wait for it - mine!!
    For what ever reason the E4 & E5 aren't covered in this one but another for the E4,E5,E6,E7 & E8. Awaiting an answer on exchanging!!

However, I am sure that all the info I need for my model is within this manual.

I have already sussed out that there are two engine versions, one has the "Evaporative emissions control" system on it with the reed valves on the rocker cover. The other; like mine come with a catalyzed exhaust and doesn't require the EEC system, so far all the E.L. coloured I have seen are catalyzed.

I will start looking at other colour schemes and years for comparisons.

Once I get my new manual I will start a page with all the important Torque settings. I will also try answer anyones inquiry regarding servicing or dismantling/rebuilding the bike.

Later...
    Last edited by Moriwaki man!; 2nd September 2006 at 03:59 PM.

In my laboratory creating FrankenRex Ha Ha Ha!!!!

As for the torque settings you'll find that they should be the same as the ZZR600 E model, which are the same as the D model except for the big end bolt settings, also be very wary when it comes to the figures supplied for the main crank bolts in the crankcases, the manual will specify 27Nm (20Ft/lb) this figure will give the wrong measurements when plastigauging the main bearings, having measured all the journals and the crankcases on my 600 motor I worked out what the oil clearances would be only to find that at the torque figure supplied the clearances were too big and only just within the service limits, the torque settings I have since used are 35Nm for the main crank bolts on the crankcases, which give the correct oil clearance. Even Kawasaki factory manuals give the figure as 27Nm but when you consider that the cam cap retaining bolts are done to 12Nm and they are only M6 threads it seems rather slack for such critical bolts, I've had no problems with doing them up to 35Nm so I'd recommend using that as a setting when rebuilding.

CAN I FIT A 550 IN MY ZRX 400

Question Re: ZRX 400 Faq.

Top info, really interesting reading. Where can you get after market parts for the wee beastie (exhaust etc etc)

In my laboratory creating FrankenRex Ha Ha Ha!!!!

No a 550 won't fit, the pipes will foul on the frame rails, and why would you want to ? in deristricted form the 400 is faster than a 550, failing that you could convert the 400 to 600 as I have done or even 650 as I am doing now, the exhaust ports on the 550 motor will foul as they are the same spacings as the GPZ/GPX600 motors which I initially looked at fitting a few years ago, it is possible to put a ZZR600 motor straight in BUT you will need to change the head for the 400 one as the carbs on the 600 won't fit under the frame rails and the barrels don't have fins on so it'll look awful, that's why I had the 400 block re sleeved with the 600 sleeves to keep the appearance right, there are several problems with taking the 400 out to 600 which I've posted in earlier threads, all in all to convert to 600cc will cost about 1500.00 upwards depending on the spec you do the motor to, mine was more as I had the crankcases powdercoated and the covers polished and all new bearings and pistons throughout. if you need any help doing it let me know or if you want I can build you an engine to whatever spec you want. realistically a 600 ZRX should put out around 75BHP at the wheel with larger carbs and different cams, if the cylinderhead is modified correctly it should achieve about 100BHP, but the cylinderhead work alone costs close on 900.00 and is only worth doing if you want the full potential from the bike, there is a turbo kit for the ZRX400 available in Japan, but it aint cheap. to build a 650cc motor with all the head work and carbs and ignition sorted will set you back in the region of 3000.00 depending on spec.

Anyone know how much fork oil (and what grade) to put in the baby Rex?

Moriwaki man! Visitor

Post Fork Oil

Oil. SAE10W-20

Renew Oil - 428ml
    Overhaul - 503 +/- 4ml on E1 & 2
    Overhaul - 502 +/- 4ml on E3

Oil Level (No spring fully compressed)

E1 & 2 - 94 +/- 2mm
    E3 - 95 +/- 2mm

Torque settings:

Top nut - 22N.m
    Bottom fork tube bolt - 29N.m
    Bottom pinch bolt - 20N.m
    Headstock pinch bolts - 20N.m

Hope that helps you out

Cheers

Thought it would be a nice idea to make a list of parts for the ZRX400 which are common with the other Kawasakis, so here it is.... Will keep updating it as and when wifey allows me on the internet . Sorry for the USD cost...didnt have the patience to subtract VAT from the GBP price available on the online websites.

Last edited by roughseas; 8th October 2007 at 02:21 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast