Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZRX 400 Faq.

ZRX 400 Faq.

Authors note:
    Bernard recently sent me a load of documents relating to the ZRX 400 for me to scan and host for him. (sorry for the delay mate, I've been snowed under with a multitude of other projects recently).

I figure that the best way of presenting this info for those who need it would be in a similar format to the 1100/1200 Faq above. It could take me a while to organise this info properly so bear with me. I'll update this post as and when I get the time. Any other contributions from ZRX 400 owners would be most welcome. Please PM me with details.

Kawasaki ZRX400

Kawasaki's Zephyr's range (which includes a 45hp 400 in Japan) won some friends for its styling but didn't impress with its lack of performance and indecently poor frugality. Where the Zephyr was at least elegant without going completely retro, the ZRX, like the Suzuki and Yamaha alternatives, goes the whole, rather silly, way. At a quick glance it could pass for some smart seventies hack.

This disguises the fact that it's in reality a high tech, 16 valve, watercooled four cylinder motor with all the usual necessary accessories...too many carbs, an excess of disc brakes, minimal front mudguard, etc. True, it does have conventional twin shocks without the usual quick decaying set of suspension linkages and outrageously expensive mono-shock, but they aren't of astonishing quality and the bike has to carry an excessive 410lbs of metal (plus fuel, oil and coolant).

The motor does have an urgent feel, the handling's nicely neutral and the gearbox's slicker than most Kawasaki efforts, even if the clutch's a bit brutal in its take-up and prone to slip under heavy abuse. Drive chain whiplash, when playing with the throttle at low revs in taller gears, ain't completely unknown. Comfort's reasonable for those under 5'10'' but a bit cramped for taller riders but both begin to suffer after a 100 miles, or so, with chaffed inner thighs from the shape of the tank and various pains in tensed muscles.

Maybe just from the frenetic nature of the mill than any particular failing in the ergonomics. A feeling emphasized in some Tokyo examples, which run revised ignition units, loud (and illegal) pipes, clip-ons and a flash paint job - the extra power (65hp plus) just shows up the suspension and disc brakes, though miles ahead of the seventies bikes, as being close to mediocre; not that it matters in Tokyo as bikes are more of a pose than pure speed tools. The local hoodlums wear flares with turn-ups and think Suzuki GN250's are cool custom cycles!

The ZRX can take something like a 550 Zephyr but is a bit lost against a GPZ500S, its excess of high technology not adding up to all that much even when the motor's derestricted. 400cc's and four cylinders need some radical engineering in the relationship between bore and stroke to exploit their benefits; the ability to run along at 15000 revs being the most pertinent (the ZRX peaks at 11000 revs). When it's done right it's close to miraculous but silly power restrictions limit innovation in the Japanese home market, more style than substance and all kinds of weird shit going down to keep the sales going.

The ZRXs's a relatively recent bolide, thus nearly new, immaculate examples cost around 3000 in Japan; hard going to find something for less than 2500 unless it's been crashed and bashed - you definitely need to take the petrol tank off to check the upper frame for bent or straightened tubes.

Crashed ones in the UK usually run non-standard front ends and wheels. UK prices are heavy for nice ones, around 3500 - silly money! Anything cheaper in a dealer's likely to be crashed and straightened. It certainly ain't inspiring enough to merit such high prices.

Source: http://www.umgweb.com/member1/plusgre.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical specs. ZRX 400: Top of this page

Technical specs (Zephyr, ZR & ER): Top of this page

1994/5 E1/E2 models. (from manual? )
    Page 1
    Page 2 (best viewed at 1024 x768 screen resolution)
    (the above were scanned at a higher resolution to give you half a chance of a decent printout should you require it)

Road test report from GreyBike Magazine, Aug/sep '98 (1024 x 768)
    Page 1
    Page 2

Shootout: ZRX400 v RVF400 NC35, GreyBike Feb/Mar '99 (1024 x 768)
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3
    Page 4
    Page 5

Pictures with Japanese subtitles.
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to follow.

Ok Bernard, I've made a start.
    Last edited by ZRX Gremlin; 22nd January 2006 at 01:23 AM.
    Admin: ZRX-UK
    ...........You never can tell

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea necabit!

Loading Virus Please wait

Re: ZRX 400 Faq.

wow, thats a lot to take-in in one sitting,interesting though I must say
    a womans place is in......CONTROL

"A wise girl kisses but doesn't love, listens but doesn't believe, and leaves before she is left."

Thumbs up Re: ZRX 400 Faq.

Nice one Its a good starting point for all the zrx400 members , by the time jam and all us other zrx400 users add a little too ,it ,s going to be the countrys leading zrx400 information collection that all members will benefit from , as you know how difficult its been trying to find the simplest of information for this model unless you speak japanese
    I have some more info on CDR I will dig it out in the next couple of weeks and burn it to disc for you think it will be easier for you and post it on with a 5p stamp or have they gone up in price the delay is normal 2 weeks thanks for pooling the info together from all I,m sure the zrx400 owners
    Last edited by bernard; 22nd January 2006 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks both to and bernard, should have useful info all together.

cheers guys this is some gr8 info be searchin for stuff for a while now

thanx paul
    pablo sanchez the scottish rexxer

sex 'n' drugs and rock 'n' roll !!!

Thumbs up Re: ZRX 400 Faq.

Well done and bernard as you now I have a BIG GREEN 1200R but this makes for very good reading
    IF ITS GREEN IT MUST BE MEAN

Top job but where's the "pi55ing" sigline gone
    Team Phat Bastid - Hants Chapter Wannabe
    The Future is bright .. the Future is ORANGE

Question Re: ZRX 400 Faq.

Hi could this be a sticky ?

PM sent to forum moderators.
    Admin: ZRX-UK
    ...........You never can tell

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea necabit!

Loading Virus Please wait

Is there a manual for these little beast available anywhere???

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast