Thread: LED bulbs for your clocks!

Talking LED bulbs for your clocks!

Sorry to all that have read the OA page with this artical on but hopefully this will be of use!
    LED replacements for panel lights

by Steve St. Laurent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know who to thank for this because the original thread is gone but whoever it is thank you! Just replaced all of the lights in my gauge panel with SLEDs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR. It looks awesome and no more blown bulbs!

It was a bit hard for me to figure out exactly which bulbs I needed for what and there was some question as to what would work in the turn signals, high beam, idiot lights, etc. I wanted mine to light up green so this is based off of that.

There's 4 lamps that light up the gauge and all the others are for the indicators. Hopefully someone will chime in here with what worked for them for coloring the gauge lights the other colors. I remember that the original poster said that for red he needed to use the 4 led clusters. For green the single led worked for me. The 4 lamps marked with an asterisk on this picture would be the ones you'd get in a different color.

For the two idiot lights in the tach and the high beam indicator white LEDs worked great. For the turn signal indicators and the neutral light green LEDs worked best - white looked dim and a little strange (tinted slightly blue). Attached is a picture of which LEDs I used where and here's a list of what I used for an easy order:

WLED-G - 194 type single green - qty 3 (large bulbs for gauges)
    74 LED - White - QTY 3 (oil pressure, water temp, and high beam)
    74 LED - Green - QTY 4 (turn signals, neutral, one small bulb for speedo)

Again, sorry I don't remember who posted this originally so I can't give credit where due!

Check out the page on the OA site as it has the bulb locations shown on the back of a set of clocks:plod
    Enjoy
    Tez :

Re: LED bulbs for your clocks!

I used the 4 cluster green LEDs for the main clock bulbs (WLED-G in the pic), gave a better spread of light over the red line as some had found a single LED left the red line dull.
    TPB-Founder member HCW
    Champagne ideas on beer money

Thumbs up Re: LED bulbs for your clocks!

Well got my LEDs today and fitted them in the REX.
    I used white LEDs for all the bulb swaps as a pose to using green ones in the indicators.
    The lights are not quite as bright as the bulbs but give a nice blue white tone rather than the bulbs yellow glow. The indicator flashers on the clocks look mslightly off colour but they are certainly not unrecognisable.
    So hopefully no more bulb changes for me!

A small tip, some of the smaller leds (for the indicators, main beam etc) needed a squeeze on the rubber fitting to help the leds get a good connection. Check them as you change them to make sure they work.

Super Bright LEDs are good to deal with, placed my order, paid and the jiffy bag arrived from America a few days later. I ordered some parts for my zx7r at the same time from an English supplier - still waiting!!

Top Service, just a pity you have to spend $25 on items to get stuff shipped over here!(which cost $5)

Tez

Quote Originally Posted by Pal View Post
    I used the 4 cluster green LEDs for the main clock bulbs (WLED-G in the pic), gave a better spread of light over the red line as some had found a single LED left the red line dull.
    Could someone please post specific links to the above LED'S identifying which ones you need. All white no coloured ones.
    Going round in circles at the moment
    Tanx

Really useful info, have ordered some green LEDs for my clocks 😀