Re: Random photos thread

Really nice part !

What Goes Around..........!!!

Life is hard - and then you die...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultim8pc View Post
    Now that is cool .. Post some more pics when you get some time .

I'll see what I can dig out. Bit of a story behind that trip...
    I used to work for an American company whose HQ was in Denver, Colorado. I'd driven and cog-trained (look it up) to the top of Pikes Peak many times. In 2014 I managed to line up a trip to HQ when the Pikes Peak event was on and Guy Martin was there on his Maertek.
    Anyway, we knew that access to the mountain closed at 8am, so we set off at 5am and arrived at the bottom prior to 7am. At the bottom where all the pit crews, bikes and tents. We didn't get much chance to look about as we were being told they'd be closing off access to the mountain. So you have to set off and the fill the mountain from the top to the bottom. We drove about three quarters the way up (about 10,000 feet!) and told top park up. This was about 8:30am.
    We walked to a nice viewing spot and settled down, eager for it to kick off..
    We were surrounded by people with tents, BBQ setups etc and beer. It rapidly dawned on us that there was absolutely no where to purchase food or drinks. At this point you could not drive back down the road. We had 4 litres of water, a couple of pastries, a 1Lb bag of Trail mix and some M&M... Oh and a hat and sunscreen. ( You get burned super easy at that altitude and with clear skies)..
    As the whole event is a time trial and people crash off the edge, the passing of bikes an cars was a bit random. Sometimes you'd see nothing for an hour and sometimes you'd see something every few minutes. However, our vatange point allowed us to see bikes accelerate up a long straight (off one of the many hairpins) past us and then onto the next hairpin. inevitably there were plenty who went off the edge...
    We rapidly ran out of water and goodies. Thankfully the Americans a friendly bunch and were given beers and food!
    Anyway, by the time the event stopped it was 7pm. However, it was 9pm before they let us move off and it then took us 2 hours to get to the bottom. We were so hungry. We went to a steakhouse and ordered. I was so hungry and tired I couldn't eat... Went to bed and didn't get up next day until lunchtime... But then we went to the firing range to shoot some guns! (AR15, P90, Glock, Browning, Colt 45).

In summary, it was an experience, which was badly organised and as a stranger attending for the first time there was little info to let you know how it all works or what facilities there are etc. (It is slightly better now).
    If I was attending again, I'd just stay down by the pits with the cars and bikes....
    Life is hard - and then you die...

east of holland 50feet from the german border

Quote Originally Posted by Ultim8pc View Post
    If I was attending again, I'd just stay down by the pits with the cars and bikes.....
    Naah, sounds like you did it just right......
    Birdie num num........

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758