Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you start

Re: How did you start

I was into the Rock scene so of course took an interest in bikes as well. The real clincher was the fact that my parents hated bikes so that made me more determined to get one.

Went out and bought a GP100 and the night before I picked it up suddenly realised I didn't have a clue on how to ride it. 15 minute lesson on my mates 125 wet dream in Southport station's car park and I was then fully qualified to pick it up. Of course it lashed it down every day for the first 2 weeks of owning it, but didn't stop me loving every minute of it.
    I'm not anti-social. I just hate people

The house I grew up in was at the back of Leicester speedway stadium so I think thats what set me off. Got a bike at 18, cb125, right heap, cost me 80. Rode ever since.

My Grandad had bikes, and so did my Dad. I've got photos of my Mum pregnant with me at Mallory Park in 1970 so I imagine the smell of two-stroke oil probably got to me in the womb .

First bike of my own was a Yamaha YZ80 schoolboy motox'er when I was 7.

My Grandfather was a motorcycle outrider in the army during the war.

We were to poor to own a car in the early seventies so my dad had a bike to go to work on a C90 then graduated to a Cossack vokshod 175 now you don't see many of them around. He used to take us up the club to watch him play darts on a Friday night and if it rained we had a special plastic bag with a hole cut in the top for you head to pop thru. I used to love seening the shadow we cast at night.

I do remember being ill and my dad taking me to the doctors on the back of the bike.

He got rid of the Cossack when the law changed and bought a 1976 FS1E DX (purple) when I was 16 in 1986 he gave me that and took his test then bought an X5. My elder brother had a AP 50 which he fitted an A100 lump in.

I kept the fizz in the till I was 23 then gave it away. (if only i knew then what I know now) I bought an rxs100 while the fizz lived in the shed and got rid of that during 1993. Took my direct access on valentines day 2002 came home from cradley Kawasaki a couple of weeks later with the
    Last edited by Craig; 23rd July 2005 at 10:10 PM.
    I Believe!

I'm glad to see someone else appreciates the subtle qualities of the SS50 !! I loved those bikes and ended up owning three of them (two scrappers to keep the other on the road). It's funny the sentimentality you have for that first bike. I've even recently considered buying another one and having it shipped all the way over to Canada where I now live. Luckily my wife was sane enough to point out how stupid I was being

My father and older brother both rode bikes (H*nda men, the both of them). I remember standing in a bike shop, the zxr750 had just come out. I swore a sacred oath I would once own a big powerfull GREEN Kawasaki. And now I do! I'm so happy

Always been interested in bikes when I was a lad, then an instructor moved in two doors down from us so that was it, I had to learn to ride then! Couldn't afford to run a bike and a car and always needed a car for work so passed my tests on a rented bike, some Suzuki 100cc four-stroke thing. All I remember about it is that it was blue and didn't go above 45mph.

Kept thinking about bikes over the years but could never justify the expense (if only I'd known then what I know now...) and finally got around to getting one a couple of years ago. Did the CBT as a refresher, went out to buy a sensible 600cc and came home with an XJR1300!
    A man only needs two tools; WD-40 and duct tape.
    If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.
    If it moves and it shouldn't, use the tape.

And the Lord spake thus unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life."
    But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Both of my parents rode when I was little. First ride was on my dad's BSA 650 Lightning when I was only 18 mos. old. Mom rode a Yam 350 & dad a Yam 650 for a while, then the old man got into Harleys. Spent most of the '70s/early '80s on the back of dad's '74 Harley- stroked to 86 ci, raked 10* & with a 10" over girder fork.

Grandparents bought a Honda ATV 90 for all us grandkids- no suspension, balloon tire, pull start, etc. Great fun & had a friend w/a Honda Mini Trail 70 & we'd switch back & forth. Got a used Yam DT125 when I was 12 & it's a wonder I didn't die on that bike as hard as I thrashed it- hill climbing, jumps, racing friends on gravel roads, etc. Tried to test for my license at 16, but something was always wrong with the old man's Harley & the examiner would never let me test on it. Going to borrow dad's friend's KZ 650 for test, but as he took it around the block to warm it up, he dumped it in some sand & scraped himself up pretty badly. When he pushed the bike to the house, he's p**sed off & asks if I want 'this damn thing'. Said sure, but that I only had $400 to my name. By this time, his wife's there & between her freaking out & him being p**sed, they decided $400 was a great price. One new handlebar & a turn signal later & I was burning up the roads.

Tennis Visitor

Both parents had bikes in the fifty's dad had a shaft drive sunbeam, mum a 650 thunderbird, suppose it was a mid life crisis/ post divorce that made me do my test, the instructor had an "s"

Twas summer of 73, my mate (and now my boss) wanted someone to travel from Plymouth to Portsmouth with him. He had a Yamaha YAS3 125. Took us forever, even though we both weighed about half what we do now. He was meeting a young lady. I got to meet her mate. We needed to do the journey every weekend so it was decided that I should also purchase a bike, the Yam YAS1 125 cost me 125 squid. About three weeks after that I had worked out I was enjoying the motorcycle ride more than the sh*g. 32 years later and I.m still riding. Couple of months later we sold bikes due to deploying out to the states for 6 months and he has never rode one since.
    Sod the nickname, call me les.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast