Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: How did you start

Re: How did you start

Gotta make that 20 posts so...

i was into pushbikes for a very long time, then i rode my mates c90. My 4 ear old brother then bought a 1976 fs1e. I then used this as my first bike, crashed it (still in good nick though). Then a bought a taiwanese piece of crap, crashed that and left it outside too much in the winter and didnt service it. 4 months ago (im 19 btw) i bought my first big bike after passing my test which was a 1994 zrx400. Been looking after it ever since and treating it nicely, and servicing it regualarly. Been keeping it in the shed most nights instead of outside, and have leaerned alot of basic mechanics and stuff from just fiddling around with it, its not that fast, but ive had alot of fun on it

First bike was a Yamaha DT175MX, which my old man bought for my brother and me, a truly great bike which deserves a place in my Hall of Fame for the amount of abuse it took before not blowing up, but refusing to play any more - we think the crank cases started leaking so no compression.

First road 'bike' was a Moby Mobylette - blew it up in about 6 weeks, this was followed by a Suzuki TS100N which, unusually for me, I blew up very regularly. My next victim was a POS Honda SS50, fucked me off so badly I killed it with a big hammer. I then decided to take out my mechanical sympathy on four wheeled vehicles and spent the next few years blowing them up.

I spent some time 'testing' RD125LCs, and in every case they failed! So I took my test and 10 mins after passing was flat out down the M27 on my Z750LTD to show my mate. Best run on that was Southampton - Chelmsford - Macclesfield - Southampton, which with having to ask directions at the Northern bits, 100 mile tank range and having to stop to hold down pipes a couple of times to defrost hands (was mid-Jan) saw 546 miles in 5hrs 30 mins. I understand they have brought in a 70 limit since then though!

Next bike was a full Yoshi Honda CB400-4 with the 440 big-bore sounded amazing (stopped by the Old Bill doing 115 downhearted Farnham bypass - they just wanted to know what it was as they liked the noise), the enlightened amongst you will have already realised this bike blew up, as in fire engine flames & crowd. Next bike was a Suzuki GSX750EF. Only destroyed the rear shock and wrecked second gear, it felt very strange having someone take a bike away and paying to do so!

No bike for about six years and then bought a GSXR600V off my brother, which survived intact, got rid of it so I could get something that didn't need its' neck rung all the time to keep it going. So the most recent bike was a Yam YZF1000R1 4XV, which was quite exciting once set up by Double Take with a QB Carbon ram air box and Dynojet-jetting to suit, the addition of a 4deg ignition advance made it more responsive. The arrival of a little boy and requirement to keep license meant it had to go. Sold it with no greater ailment than a mildly stroppy 1st gear.

Now been waiting 3 weeks for my brother's mechanic to get the ZRX sorted, which I am going to try my hardest not to break, and I had thought I was cured of bikes!

Thought I had lost half an hour of iPad tapping as when I hit Post, System had logged me out. Autsave recovered a bit but not all

Is there an over-ride?

a mate of my dad stopped and picked me up one morning and took me to school on a mack 1 ....... that was it !, been skint ans cold ever since

Mine was a 74' Kawasaki MC 90. It was my 11th birthday and my neighbor friends, who live on a farm, started getting motorcycles. Well, I was to convince my parents to get me a motorcycle for my birthday. We drove past a motorcycle dealership coming back from the mall and there she was. An old dirtbike, gold in color, but looked amazing to me. It was $300. My parents did not have a lot of money and I was told that I couldn't get it. My heart was sick. Well, on my actual birthday, my dad borrowed a friends pick-up truck and went and purchased the motorcycle. It was the happiest day of my life. The very next day I was racing across the field as fast as the little motor could take me and the throttle stuck. I didn't now what to do in order for it to stop. I didn't have the skill sets to know to pull in the clutch and hit the "kill" switch. So I did what seemed logical and jumped off my bike going about 35-40 miles an hour into the lush grass field. Well the bike kept going about another 100 yards, hit a dirt mound and flipped up into the air landing on its side and still running wide open. (As you know its hard to kill a Kawasaki motor). Well, my dad raced down to the field, shut off the bike and brought up to the barn and put it away for the day. With blood on my forehead, I was scared big time. Well, I am now 43 and have owned over 40 motorcycles and fortunately haven't been down since. I am forever a Kawasaki fan and am a blessed man to have so many great memories that have erased my first "crash" experience with motorcycles. My parents are in their late 70's now and I still think they ask themselves if they should have ever purchased that first one for me. I continually tell them that I am forever grateful for giving me the BEST hobby that I could have ever had. Being a motorcycle Kawasaki motorcycle owner.

I grew up with my uncle always tinkering with some or other bike. Restoring, making quicker, respraying (he was brilliant with an airbrush). I remember countless hours sitting with him sanding down parts and helping with re-assembly. Rode on the tank as a lighty on his Z1R and at the back of his GSX1100 and CBX1000 (among others). That was it for me. I have been a bike nut all my life, and as other teens tried to get into girls' panties, I did everything to get my hands on a bike. I finally managed to buy my own bike once I finished 'varsity and started working. Bought a Firestorm in great condition from a real biker bloke. It was a revelation to have my own bike! It sounded great with aftermarket cans (admittedly crappy Vortex cans) and was pretty quick too. Luckily my wife met me as a bike lover, so she knows that I will always love bikes. By the way, my bike-loving uncle rode a 2005 CBR600RR until the day of his death (actually still rode it to work that morning) at the age of well over 60. He was fast as hell and a great charachter!
    "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind,
    of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" - Al

one of my neighbours had an old cb250 wet dream lying that didn't run so that was my first bike I got at 15 then moved on to a xl185 both off road, at 16 I got a ts50x as soon as I could Do my cbt, my test at 17 n after that I picked up a tzr250 3ma, ( which I still have! ) n it's just went down hill from there!! Lol 😊

My Grandad and Step Grandad had always had bikes and I love the smell of a workshop. But... I didn't get my first "bike" until I was 24 and that was an Aprilia Habana Custom 50cc scooter jobby which I rode on my car licence. Rode this and then a Suzuki 50cc jobby for about 6 years and then changed jobs so couldn't commute by scooter anymore.

Fast forward 2 years and another change of job saw me sitting in traffic getting miffed at all those on 2 wheels getting past me so figured I'd use my next bonus for lessons and kit. This was duly done and I started off on a GS500F and 3 weeks after passing my test I rode it into a hedge and promptly wrote it off. From there I replaced it with another GS500F which lasted about 6 months before I outgrew it. Next stop Triumph Bonneville T100, 2 years and a trip to Scotland convinced me I needed a change but in the meantime I'd also picked up a GS500 as a winter hack. Sold both and got a Kawasaki Z750s, added a GSX250 about a year later for running about on and being a tw*t and then last summer added the ZRX to the stable.
    My darling girl, when are you going to realise that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!

I actually wasn't bothered about bikes at first, even though my old man always loved them and it wasn't until my mate took me for a "blast" on his KE100 on some local fields when I was around 20ish that I suddenly got the bug for them.

Went out and took a 5 day course and passed first time so went and got a Suzuki GS500E as a commuter bike and that was it for years. Didn't even bother getting a car until late 20's when I decided the winter riding was getting a bit too treacherous where I lived and bought old bangers just to get me to work through the worst days of snow/ice (not that we get any anymore). Even did some courier work in London on the GS but that life wasn't for me. In the first few days a couple of the guys had been knocked off by taxi's doing U-turns etc, put me off it a bit and it's a tougher job than people realise.

About 10 years later I spent 6 years commuting into London on a few different bikes which was good fun (London is surprisingly ok to commute into on 2 wheels, although probably wouldn't want to do it now I'm getting on a bit).

It was during this time that I used see a guy commuting on a ZRX and always liked the look of it and thought I'd get one. Took me another 15 years to finally get around to it though.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021