Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Worst bike i ever owned

Re: Worst bike i ever owned

My worst bike was a Triumph Tiger 855 - one of the enormously heavy early ones. It was a beer assisted too-good-to-be-true buy-it-now but I discovered why on the 200 mile journey home after I collected it.

It handled like a whale on stilts (which is what it was), jumped out of gear mid corner, stalled at every junction and vibrated like a Kango on the brakes.

I cured the last two problems - sticky choke mech and bent disc - but it failed to charm.

Best thing about it was it got nicked. Insurance paid out almost twice what I bought it for so I bought a MK1 1200 Bandit instead. Much better.

That would have been the Mobilette Kaptein with rubber brakepads on the wheelrims in front, yes indeed, just like a normal bicycle
    In the rear we had non functional drum brakes, and a tiny tank under the seat which would carry about 2,5 to 3 liters of mixture.

Had to stop regularly to blow out the carb's since I removed the airfilter entirely for more speed (+4,5 km/h, I like to exagerate...but it took me to school fast enough, this chic magnet).
    Had a standard wrench and basic other tools in the pocket of my jacket.
    Oh and chewing gum and fags to loose the gasoline taste... I can still taste the combination of those things.

Absolutely fabulous, and got me into more life threatening situations then anything else I rode in or on during the last 4 decades, dangerous little bugger..., haha.

Ducati Monster 1100. Bought it new owned it for 6 month and sold it for 6k less than it cost me. Engine was great fun, sounded sublime, but I had more problems with it in 6 months than probably all my bikes combined.

Without doubt Suzuki GS250T. Awful right up to the point the chain snapped ( my fault not the bike I suppose) and bent the previously straight end of the clutch push rod into a crochet hook The other end of the one piece push rod was flanged so there was no was to get the bugger out to replace it. Oddly, the replacement part (one engine rebuild later) was a two piece push rod. Even Japanese engineers have hindsight 😀. The two spotlights I mounted above the headlight used to set fire to the wiring loom too 😀😀 Happy days really

Quote Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
    Without doubt Suzuki GS250T.
    The GT 250 on the other hand was a little classic....... lot of time for air cooled Suzi strokers, had a couple back in the day, unfortunately they've started getting pricey.....

Don't think I've had a 'bad' bike, but probably the one I ended up selling on as I couldn't get on with it was a Triumph Tiger 800 I had about 5 years ago.

The bike was initially great, the triple engine is lovely with a flat torque curve, but suffered badly with vibrations.

It's the only bike where my hands would be going numb after about 30 minutes of riding. It had a high frequency 'buzz' around 4-6k revs (typically cruising speed) which went right through the bars.

I tried loads of different bar ends, rubber isolated bar risers and had the dealer look at it a couple of times with no solution. In the end didn't want to ride it as a result so binned it off for the FZ1 I still have today.

Having done some reading on forums etc, it seems with those Triumphs it's a luck of the draw whether you get one that does it or not. Not sure if they have balance issues with the triple, but I'd never buy a Triumph again without testing the actual bike I'll be buying (This was the first bike I ever bought new, so had no way of testing the actual bike I was buying, just the test ride model).

If it did it from day one, you should have backed it on them .

mp
    Hcw's . Innovator or Imitator, what are you ?

Yamaha XS 250 Twin 1977.

Flat as a fart and just made more noise when you dropped a gear.........didnt go any faster !
    Very fortunatley I was given it to use one year over the winter, so I did not actually have my name on the book...........thank god !
    It was just a gutless awful bike.

Pete
    THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS...................

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536