PDA

View Full Version : Dead Hard Disk

rolfe66
11th July 2007, 02:38 AM
got a second disc that has died, need to get 60gig of music of there before i bin it, when i plug it back in i can drag files from it for about 5 mins before it crashes my puter. anyone have any idea how to keep it spinning or know of free software to check it? windows cant find a problem. xp pro and its a internal 2nd disk.

cheers

PapaKwaka
11th July 2007, 07:47 AM
got a second disc that has died, need to get 60gig of music of there before i bin it, when i plug it back in i can drag files from it for about 5 mins before it crashes my puter. anyone have any idea how to keep it spinning or know of free software to check it? windows cant find a problem. xp pro and its a internal 2nd disk.

cheers

You could have a look at http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Good luck mate (you'll need it :cry: )

sluglie
11th July 2007, 08:11 AM
who is it made by? you can download diagnostic software from the manufacturers that should be able to tell you what is going on and why.

other than that its a case of ripping as much as you can in the time you have, rinse and repeat.

i had the same sort of problem with one of mine a couple of years ago and had to go through the same procedure (although i had to do all mine through dos as it was the drive with the OS on)

rolfe66
11th July 2007, 12:17 PM
cheers lads, ill look at the torrents for that spinrite if no joy with that is a day infront of the computer for me. oh joy, the wife will love that.

Burchy
11th July 2007, 07:29 PM
You might try an old trick I often use. Take the disk out and put it in the fridge! Don't freeze it, but get it good and cold. You should find that it will stay up much longer before it falls over again

phoenix
11th July 2007, 07:35 PM
Oooerr!!!

rolfe66
11th July 2007, 09:10 PM
You might try an old trick I often use. Take the disk out and put it in the fridge! Don't freeze it, but get it good and cold. You should find that it will stay up much longer before it falls over again

ive heard about this before but the wife will think i am nuts. thik ill try it when she is out.:chicken:

Haggis McSparkie
12th July 2007, 10:36 AM
You say no problem can be found, but have you tried running checkdisk 'thouroughly' from a DOS prompt?
It runs slightly differently.
Try running chkdsk (Drive letter) /r /f

/r locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /f)
/f fixes errors on the disk

Don't believe the 'implies /f', force it to do it!

This will force it to check the disk surface both of areas used by files and free space. It takes quite a bit longer (esp. if it finds problems) but you stand a better chance of recovering files.

Once you have run it, you may see some new files in the root of the drive, these are corrupt files the recovery algorithm couldn't repair. Hey, they were buggered anyway. At least you might be able to get the remaining files backed up quicker.

If I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs, sorry :o:

rolfe66
12th July 2007, 10:50 PM
:thumb:
You say no problem can be found, but have you tried running checkdisk 'thouroughly' from a DOS prompt?

This will force it to check the disk surface both of areas used by files and free space. It takes quite a bit longer (esp. if it finds problems) but you stand a better chance of recovering files.

Once you have run it, you may see some new files in the root of the drive, these are corrupt files the recovery algorithm couldn't repair. Hey, they were buggered anyway. At least you might be able to get the remaining files backed up quicker.

thanks for that mate, ill give it a try at the weekend:thumb:

Nux
13th July 2007, 10:53 PM
The fridge trick does work depending on the problem. If you're willing to try to disassemble it and do a rebuild, I can walk you through it step by step through email or an international call (your expense lol). But I can tell you from experience that you'll probably trash your first couple. So if the data is so important that you can't spend the time it takes to torrent it all back...then I suggest sending it off to have it rebuilt and the drive imaged onto DVD or CD (important in case it's dead when it gets back to you). I can find some mail in companies that do some pretty good work if you want, and give you the URL's or POTS #'s. Any reputable computer repair store in your area can do the same thing, but I have had a couple toast my drives and just pay me the price for a replacement; which I didn't believe compensated me for the personal value of the data @ all so be careful. The important thing is to not keep booting it up for 5 min.'s @ a time. This is kind of like starting a bike up again and again that doesn't have a functioning coolant system and dies after 5 min. It's a brutal 5 min.'s on that hard drive. Too much of that and it'll lock up and scratch the surface and then it'll be much (MUCH) more expensive to recover the data. Just let me know what route you wanna take and I'll keep in touch. Cheers!

derekwadd
26th September 2007, 10:24 AM
You might try an old trick I often use. Take the dick out and put it in the fridge! Don't freeze it, but get it good and cold. You should find that it will stay up much longer before it falls over again

:doh:

screemin187
26th September 2007, 11:07 AM
Happened me, took it to local computer dude, he sorted for around 25 onto a new HD, salvaged everything and probably had a good old look at my bank accounts, personal shit and erm "browsing history"

Moral of my story, hard work, let some else do it and go motorcycling instead

Haggis McSparkie
26th September 2007, 11:38 AM
:thumb:

thanks for that mate, ill give it a try at the weekend:thumb:

And? did you get the data off?

waratah
27th September 2007, 10:08 AM

Cant believe this.

This AM start the PC wont boot try again and again will not boot into windows.:headbang::headbang::headbang:
I have now gone through the whole formating thing only to now have a blue Stop Error screen telling me to check for viruses and to run CHKDSK/F:confused::cry::confused::cry:

How do I run this if the computer will not even boot to windows, not even safe mode etc!!!? :deadhorse::confused::confused::cry::cry::cry: